First tank help plz

Meshta2

Reefing newb
Hi all, I am planning to have a 5 gallon saltwater tank ( no space to put larger one) and i am wondering if I need to have a protein skimmer for 5 gallon or not. also do I need to install sump or not. all what i want to put in the tank is couple of clown fish. thanks for the help.

A small hang on back filter is all I would use. (Aquaclear 70 or similar) As long as you keep up with your water changes , you shouldn't need any other filtration equipment. Your biggest enemy will be evaporation , I would suggest an auto top off unit unless you think you can keep up manually .

No, just regular water changes. But.....the minimum tank size for ONE clown is 10g....so maybe do some research before you add a couple of clowns in a 5g tank.

No, just regular water changes. But.....the minimum tank size for ONE clown is 10g....so maybe do some research before you add a couple of clowns in a 5g tank.

Thanks for the info.. So even a couple of small clowns? Luke 2 inches each?

I started out with a 5 gallon 5 yrs ago and 2 blue damsels. You should be ok with just a good water filter and air pump. I would also do a small amount of live or dry rock along with sand to help with the biological filtration.

No. I completely and totally disagree with @jahel318 .
There are nano fish, but I'd stick with inverts in a tank that small.
And yes, even two "small" clowns is too big.

So I cant have two small nimo in 5 or 8 gallon tank. Even if i used small protein skimmer or because there is no space for them to swim?
Thank you all for the response.

ote
I started out with a 5 gallon 5 yrs ago and 2 blue damsels. You should be ok with just a good water filter and air pump. I would also do a small amount of live or dry rock along with sand to help with the biological filtration.
Are damsels the same as nimo?

ote

Clownfish are in the damsel family. But a 5 gallon is cutting it too close for even one fish of any kind.
Water quality issues can be alleviated, but aggression would be more difficult to address.

And yes, a fish that is put in very tight quarters can start to fight with itself.

Clownfish are in the damsel family. But a 5 gallon is cutting it too close for even one fish of any kind.
Water quality issues can be alleviated, but aggression would be more difficult to address.

And yes, a fish that is put in very tight quarters can start to fight with itself.
Thanks for the rey. I got the idea now. So at least 10 gallon.

ote

I wasn't saying it's the best size to have a (5 gallon for 2 damsels)...IJS I was able to keep them for a year until I moved up to my 44 gallon. But if you want to permanently keep the 5 then Erin Cahir is right.

Okey. Then i will wait and prepare a big one rather than surviving with 5 or 10 gallon..... Thanks all for the help and advice

Back