first time reefer

twisted

Reefing newb
this is my first reef tank! sorry for the not to good pic...a better camera is coming soon!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 294
i agree on the rocks....in a couple days ill be going back up to the fish store and picking up about 30 more pounds of live rock and ill see where that gets me..my shop has some real nice pieces of tonga<<<<<think i spelled it right...lol....its already got lots of coraline started on it too. just small clusters but many! i added a cleaner shrimp and a ahhhhh, red with a few white dots on it...forgot the name...i gotta start a log with add dates and tests.....yep, gots to....once my tank is a little more mature, my boss has a very rare bubble tip for me that im real stoked about adding...once i add more rock, which i plan to build up on the left side, i think ill add a power head back there...i think the left side ill build up about 2 inches form the surface and leave the middle and right side just a little higher than it is now. i dont think anymore fish will be added for a while. i just want to get the waterscape to my liking and do alot of homework on the fish that catch my eye....my sicklett tank was breathtaking and i hope in the future people will say the same of this one...

It looks like you've got a good plan going.
Just make sure the new rock is cured good if your getting the full 30 pounds.You dont want to kick off another cycle now.
I'd also advise to hold off on the anemone for 9 to 10 more months at least.They usually dont do well in tanks thats under a year old.All the parameter swings in newer tanks stress them.They need perfect water with stable parameters.
But if you take your time and study the tank and what you plan to keep in it,then you'll end up your dream tank.
Just takes time.

yeah, patience is definitely the key. i will for sure take it slow. thanks for the advice on the anenome...my boss told me almost a year to wait. the rock has very healthy coraline on it, so is it properly cured?

The easy way to tell if the rock at your LFS is cured good.Give it the nose test.Sniff each rock that you like.If it smells fresh with NO ammonia odor,then its probably alright.You cant always judge the rock by the coralline coverage.It can have a lot of coraline,but a lot of die-off of the hitch hikers at the same time.Its the die-off that'll cause problems.
It'll also help to take a cooler or something with some saltwater in it to the store with you.That way you know the rock will stay good and wet untill you can get it home and in your tank.

The easy way to tell if the rock at your LFS is cured good.Give it the nose test.Sniff each rock that you like.If it smells fresh with NO ammonia odor,then its probably alright.You cant always judge the rock by the coralline coverage.It can have a lot of coraline,but a lot of die-off of the hitch hikers at the same time.Its the die-off that'll cause problems.
It'll also help to take a cooler or something with some saltwater in it to the store with you.That way you know the rock will stay good and wet untill you can get it home and in your tank.[/QUO
when i got my first batch of rock they packed it in a stirofoam cooler and wrapped in in wet newspaper with about 2 inches of salt water on the bottom...is that ok? its aabout a 45 min drive

That would probably be alright.But I perfer to try and keep the rock totally submerged.That way theres no doubt.
But then again,I actually take the time to acclimate any new rock I add to my tank,the same as I do for fish and coral:D

seeing as how i prefer to do things right the first time(once i know the proper ways) totally submerged it is! as for acclimating live rock......how long is good to do so?....i dont plan to do any purchasing through websites...i believe in supporting the locals...even if i have to drive an hour or two...i think my biggest need in the future is going to be lighting...i have a 400 and 600 watt halide but i think id rather use t5s if they are gonna do a good job for me....at the moment i have 2 blue and 2 white(itinic) but i like the light set at my bosses tank which is a 150 halide with t5s and moonlighting...lots of options and i know everyone has preferences...if i have to, i can set up my 400 which is in a cool tube from some indoor activities i did years ago, but sht, my living room would freakin glow! lol.......

T-5s will work great.I ran them on my 75 for over a year and kept SPS corals in the bottom 1/4 of the tank.But T-5s or halides,your living rooms gonna glow.Just wait untill the local law enforcment decides they need to check on your grow operation:mrgreen:
Most folks dont go through the trouble of acclimating their rock.I just do it becuse I take the time to pick out the pieces that still have live corals on it and their one of my favorite parts of the hobby.
But if you want to acclimate it,then just set up a drip or even turkey baster untill the salinity of the transport water matches the water in your tank.

T-5s will work great.I ran them on my 75 for over a year and kept SPS corals in the bottom 1/4 of the tank.But T-5s or halides,your living rooms gonna glow.Just wait untill the local law enforcment decides they need to check on your grow operation:mrgreen:
Most folks dont go through the trouble of acclimating their rock.I just do it becuse I take the time to pick out the pieces that still have live corals on it and their one of my favorite parts of the hobby.
But if you want to acclimate it,then just set up a drip or even turkey baster untill the salinity of the transport water matches the water in your tank.
thanks yote! i think ill do it the same way..the rock i have i pick myself and got some nice pieces with some real pertty coraline and color on it...im going up to my store today to find some more....the owner called me last night to let me know about nice real nice stuff he set aside for me...i think i got real lucky with the shop i do business with...they take alot of pride in what they stock and will only sell stuff that they would put in their own tanks...then maybe ill hit atlantic city and drop 20 in the slots! that could bring endless possibilities...lmao........

i noticed something as i was cleaning my tank today...i lifted a small piece of rock and saw two leech looking thingys..they were blue with a red outine around them...are they normal or something that i dont want in the tank..they were about a half inch and i assume came from some live rock...

Sounds like bristle worms.Their a common hitch hiker and are great to have in the tank.They'll eat detritus and left over fish food.
And try not to touch em when your moving stuff around.Those bristles feel like fiberglass insulation stuck in your fingers.

Sounds like bristle worms.Their a common hitch hiker and are great to have in the tank.They'll eat detritus and left over fish food.
And try not to touch em when your moving stuff around.Those bristles feel like fiberglass insulation stuck in your fingers.
kool! thanks! i was fearing they werre some type of nudibranch that eats zoas...i just looked up bristle worms to confirm it and thats what they are..i found more as i cleaned...total of 9! my guess is they came with the stuff my boss gave me...i picked up some more rock today and got some real nice pieces along with some more lazuras snails...the rock i got today has lots of color to it and was cured up just for me! i have it in my homemade acclimation tank i set up...cant wait to put it in tommorrow!

twisted, you probably have dozens of bristle worms and just didn't notice them!
Like yote said, watch your fingers. They hurt like a mother fuc@er!

i got a closer look at the worm thingys in the tank, i do have bristle worms, but these are different...there are no legs on the sides...these are all blue with just a thin red outline...they look kinda like a bristle but i dont think they are..i looked for horns and dont think they have them either...pointy on each end but no horns...they look more like a nudibranch...im puzzled because i cant find anything online that matches...they are definitely different from the bristle worms and yes i had to find out for myself like a dumbass and touch one to see what it felt like...ouch!...lol...

Back