fish all turning a cloudy grey color with film on them

d.french

Reef enthusiast
i good buddy of mine fish are all dying one by one not sure what it is myself but he hasn't got any help on reef central so thought i would throw it out here to see if anyone knows. all his fish been turning like a cloudy grew color with a thin slimy like film on them and then dying, all his corals are doing good but not fish.

its an established tank, everything checks out as far as water paremeters. the only fish that is doing good in his tank is his foxface.

can't find anything either, i know my buddy getting ready to throw in towel with all the money in fish he has lost.

bad food maybe..... I got some at the petsmart store they left it out to long and it went bad but ....you could smell how bad it was....on your hands after you fead... I took it back and got my money and went to my FO store got good stuff did not lose any fish but they did get a grey tent to them befor i cought it took 3 days befor I figure out what I had changed...

Enough information has not been given on how the fish are acting, the breathing, gill plates color and extention or not, etc. so based on the limited information i will provide you with some possibles to zero in on i.e.
1-Chilonodella
2-columnaris
3-amyloodinum
4-bacterial infection
5-Poision i.e. are there poisonous fish or animals in the tank (rabbit fish) do you have any reason to believe they may have released their poison or tung the affected fish? new landscape objects or equipkent recently added, test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitreate if high could be problemany perfumes, insecticides, cleaning chemicals, detergents, excessibe bobacco smoke, oils or strong vapors been released into the tank water or sprayed near the tank or air intake recently. good luck hope something here helps.

6- gill and or skin flukes

there is a fox face fish(venomous and only fish doing good, once they get greyish color and film over eyes they start breathing heavy and die by next day or two.

Nothing more to add . you need to assess what changed the preceeding 10 days to the developement of the problem in your system. that might give you a clue. good luck.

oh not my system, that would suck, its my buddies 90 gallon only difference between his tanks and alot of ours is his tank is full of that homemade live rock and is all fully cured.

If the rock is the problem, poison is the culprit and the solution to polution is dilution. No way to be sure, each post provides a bit more information. reason other site didnt respond is not enough detailed information for an educated guess. sorry, cant help any further than I already have posted. good luck to your friend.

gonna talk to him about that tank and try to move other fish to his other tank to see what happens with remaining few fish. thanks for all help though.

Back