Fish and salinity

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
When I was in Costa Rica I saw these fish trapped in a little puddle in the rocks on the shore at low-tide. Fresh water from the rain forest was steadily running into the puddle at a very good rate -the puddle must have been more fresh than salt. A little later the tide comes in washes over the puddle and the fish swim back into the sea.

Last night I bring home a yellow clown goby and test the salinity of the water in the bag -its 1.014 SG! Isn't that low? I took 7 hours to acclimate it to 1.020. My understanding is that inverts are more sensitive to salinity changes than fish.

How sensitive are fish to salinity changes?
Does it depend on the species?
Was 7 hours too long to acclimate a fish given the above difference?

Did the goby survive? I know some species of fish are more rugged in general to changes in water quality. If he lived then you're probably ok.

Yes 7 hours was a bit long. with a difference of salinity that is large, you can put the fish in a bowl,bucket, etc with the water it came in and then start a slow drip (drop a second to start) until the water is doubled or tripled, then take out half of the water and continue the drip, once again take out water but leave enough in the bucket to keep the fish under water and let the drip continue until the bucket is full (quart bucked/container is ok for small fish). hope this helps. in short you should be able to acclimate a fish in an hour or hour and half if done properly.

Fish stores will keep their salinity alot lower than hobbiest. It is cheaper for them and disease is alot less likely to occur in lower salinity. IMO, seven hours is a bit long, unless you are acclimating inverts. Fish are able to adjust quicker to changes in salinity rather than snails and shrimp.

Did the goby survive? I know some species of fish are more rugged in general to changes in water quality. If he lived then you're probably ok.

He's doing fine. Now I need to get him to eat. Apparenlty he takes food out of the water column --but not from the surface or substrate.

Back