Fish food?

Marke86

Coral Junkie
I like to use flakes because it keeps my nitrites and nitrates down. My question is what are the cons to using flakes?
Thx

they woll make your phosphates go up. they contain mostly ash. use frozen mysis and just dont over feed. and if you do weekly water changes you will keep everything else in check most likely.

James is right.Flakes are made with ash,which is just a form of phosphates.
You can take some frozen food and rinse it in RO water.That way your not adding any nitrates OR phosphates to your tank.

my thinking is that the closer we can create an environment that mimics the ocean for our fish, the better off they are. They do not eat flakes out in the big blue. They like plankton, krill, silversides, all which you can find in frozen food. All natural is the way to go. They already enhance foods like emerald entree with spirulina for health so their immune system gets strengthened. Just like natural foods are better for our bodies, frozen is better for our fish.

-Doc

Flakes and pellets are bad. They do not keep nitrites and nitrates down compared to frozen food. In fact, they only help to create algae problems (from the phosphate they contain). One of the first things I tell people when they are having a hair algae problem is to STOP feeding flakes and pellets.

I only put frozen food in my tank. Nothing else. Keeping algae away is a big enough battle as it is, and you are only aiding the enemy by feeding your tank pellets and flakes.

Back