fish food??

S2kdriver

Reefing newb
well after reading up a bit, people say dont feed your fish pellets. and thats what i have been feeding them. a clown fish, 2 gobies, blue legged hermits, and 2 pepermint shrimp. i realize i should feed them frozen food. but what? i am going to try the LFS but dont know what to look for. i want a bit of background before i go in there. so what to do? thanks!!!

That would be way too much food. I use 1 cube of each type of food per week. I store it in a Tupperware like bowl and keep it in the fridge.

I like to get those flat packs of mysis and the smaller krill along with blood worms.
That way I can just break a small piece and not have to worry about thawing an entire cube.

I have use almost everything. Flakes, pellets, frozen, freeze dried, you name it. My livestock likes the frozen items best and the freeze dried stuff the least. They gobble up the pellets and flakes very fast, too.

In fact come to think of it, I think I have a pig farm instead of an aquarium! :lol:

I usually rotate every other day between flakes (with garlic) and 1 cube of mysis + 1/2 cube of brine.. no nitrate problems hope it help's...

i've been using the frozen flat pack cubes of mysis shrimp, but i put a cube in a cup of tank water, let it thaw, then drain all the liquid off into the sink, and then get a lil more tank water and give them about half of a cube, thats for everyone except the snowflake eel, and i give the eel 1cc chunks of redfish i catch at the coast, 3-4 chunks per feeding, and i feed about 2 times a week...

draining off the liquid from the frozen mysis shrip has helped to keep my algae under controll, when i dont drain it off i get algae everywhere, when i do drain it off, the algae falls back.

Funny that S2Kdriver should be asking this question cuz I need advice on this also. I have 1 percula clown, 3 pj cardinalfish, 1 Tomini Tang, 1 Blue hippo tang, 1 panther grouper, 1 green brittle star. I used the frozen cubes and have been feeding them a little chunk of mysis shrimp, a little chunk of Rod's food, 1 cube of Empress Entree. I thaw it all into a shot glass of RO/DI water. Throw out the water. Then add 1/2 shot glass of RO/DI water and feed the fish, with the skimmer and return pump turned off. I feed them this twice a week. Any opinions? Occasionally, I will attach a seaweed to the clip in the tank for the Tangs to enjoy!

Just wondering if my menu for my fish is okay. Just want to be sure I am not feeding too much to encourage algae growth or nitrate hike.

I have acquired some more frozen food. Brine shrimp cubes, Cyclopeeze, Silversides, Emerald Entree and Fish & Reef #2 (seafood special mix for algae eaters). Can I feed any of these foods to the fish I have in my 125 gal tank?

1 percula clown
1 Tomini tang
1 Blue hippo tang
1 panther grouper
3 pj cardinalfish
1 green brittle star:sfish:

So, are you saying that only the silversides can be fed to my fish? Can I use any of the other fish food for my fish? I feed my fish 2x/week. Should I rotate the foods somehow?

All of the foods you listed would be just fine. Rotating foods I think is a good idea. I feed something different every time. Keeps the fish from becoming picky I think.

Because I am a newbie and I acquired these from a friend that left town. So, I wanted to be sure they would be okay for my fish. Thanks!!!!

Back