fish gone missing and others

grozier

something smells fishy
So I went on vaction and had somebody watching my tank for me while I was gone and when I came back my bubble tip was gone. Guy said it was there 2 days prior which I believe then a few days later my son bought a tabbaco basslett put him in with no issues from anything in tank. Then I noticed my cleaner shrimp missing which was in the tank when I got home. Now my purple fire fish is missing after I redid my rock work in the tank. Made sure all rock was free of criters and fish before moving them around was careful not to drop them when placed where I wanted them and now its been mia for three days now. I looked behind the stand cause I know they can jump. Nothing can get under the stand either. Checked in overflow box in sump checked in the filter sock. Everything is disapearing without a trace.
I have a chocolate chip star coral banded shrimp and 2 pepperments could they be eating these things that fast when they die? Even the bubble tip?

Choco's are nasty little critters. They eat stuff very quickly. Could've even eaten your bubble tip. I had a choco eat my Sabae one time.

Nems kind of disintegrate when they die. That being said, your CUC could most definitely be taking care of the bodies before you see them (especially if they fall behind the rocks where a body wouldn't be noticed right away).

The firefish COULD just be hiding still. Moving the rocks around probably freaked him out a little bit, so don't give up on the little dude yet.

+1 Erin. Fish can hide really well for weeks. I've had a flasher wrasse go "missing" for weeks myself. Then, when you lose all hope, out they come. Ta da. OR you may never see them again cause they died and were eaten. Shrimps hide really really well for days when they molt too.

I hope the fire fish comes out and the shrimp I think is gone because I checked every rock when I moved them. Not like it to hide during feedings. He has molted several times since I had him and he was always out and about later that day.

Do you own a cat? If you have a cat as I, then there is even more mystery. Did it jump out (and no one in the whole of the internet *ever* comments about that particular critter jumps out) and the cat got it?!?!

I just lost a mandarin goby. Had it 2 days. Not to be seen. WTF You would think that there would be some piece floating around, in the sump, or something?

I have fans blowing across my tank to cool. They do well, but obviously the top is open. I am about to say screw the fans & get a chiller. Fancier is to get a controller which handles all kinds of stuff including fans + chiller + heater, but I have not seen one that catches jumping fish. If I get a tight fitting cover, then a chiller is must. I do know for a fact that a few fish have jumped out because D@mnit, the cat, did not get them. Those fish were also not noted as being leapers. Maybe there should be a thread for any know for a fact fish that has lept from its safe watery nest???

Last edited:
Coral banded shrimp could be eating your smaller fish, seen my old one eating one of my firefish one time, got rid of it that same day.

The thing with the firefish is it was in the tank before I moved the rock and after that it was gone. I think I might have trapped or crushed him. I do know that firefish and my flasher wrasse are jumpers, but this guy is nowhere to be seen outside the tank.

FWIW I found my mandarin yester eve. Not described as a shy fish, but given new caves of live rock it is not out in the open. Maybe the 3287 pods that came in with it stay lost also. Actually the order was 3250 from reefs2go and it just seems like there were a few extra.

Do you own a cat? If you have a cat as I, then there is even more mystery. Did it jump out (and no one in the whole of the internet *ever* comments about that particular critter jumps out) and the cat got it?!?!?

Yeah, I think my Beagle had some really expensive sushi not too long ago. My Snowflake Clown never did show up and it was a known jumper. He liked jumping into the overflow area.

Back