fish selection

raylmaier

Saltwater Guy
Is it bad that I love every fish out there. I cant decide what I want. They are all so neat looking. I know I cant have them all in my tank. This is going to be hard deciding what fish to put in there.

Well, it makes it easier if you rule out which fish wont do well in your tank because they need a bigger tank, arent reef safe, dont play nice etc.

But i think we all struggle with this :)

A easy partial solution to this issue is a larger tank :)

But I know exactly how you feel. I saw a Parrotfish at my LFS yesterday, that thing had amazing color and I'd love to have one - i just dont have the set up for one

You can always... buy more tanks! That's kind of the approach I had when I started. If it is in your budget you can always get a couple smaller tanks if the species you want will be happy in there. That way you get the best of both worlds, a variety of species and you still will be able to walk in your house! :p

Well been thinking the past three days and I know I am prob only going to be able to get about six fish in the tank. I know I have to get a clown fish for my son. Do I need two of those or is one good? Plus I really like tangs and angel fish. I like the Blue tangs. I like the Koran Angel and the Flame Angel. I also like the Long nose butterfly and the Fox face lo. But I really like the Moorish Idols. I know they are really hard to keep alive so that will prob be my last fish. If you guys have any suggestions about these fish not getting along or if other fish do better with each other let me know. I will be getting them prob one at a time. Also I have no clue about anemones and which ones to get. I have a book called the Saltwater Aquariam Handbook. Been reading but there is so much information.

I hate to tell you this, but out of your list only the flame and clowns will be able to live in your tank. The foxface needs to be 75 at minimum, the others need 180+ gal tanks.

I would also keep the clowns in a pair, they seem much happier that way.

Here are some much better fish options for your tank:
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Midas Blenny
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Firefish
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orchid Dottyback - Tank-Bred
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
Longnose Hawkfish
Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Six Line Wrasse - Reef Safe Wrasses
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Kaudern's Cardinalfish

yep, especially the blue tang, those puppies need an 8ft long tank.

And let me just tell you this, and dont take this the wrong way, but that Moorish idol will die even with a huge tank. I know of two people who have kept that fish alive longer than a month and Ive read of several hundred accounts of them dying in someone's tank. The people who have kept them successful have been in the hobby for a dozen years, have a huge tank that contains only the moorish idol and the specially import sponges and anemones for them to eat. Please, please, please leave that fish in the ocean.

The only ones I like in that list are the Whip fin fairy wrasses and the Kaudern Cardinal. Well I guess this makes my selection easier. Not exactly what I was hoping for:(

Ray, you'll find awesome fish that can go in your tank that you end up loving, I promise. I have about the same size tank, and yes, it is a bummer at first when you realize the limitations but once you get some clowns and start looking at other fish you can add you'll be happy, I promise. The Royal Gamma, fairy wrasses, blennies, gobies, they are colorful, fun fish that have interesting personalities and are fun to watch. They all do different stuff, like burrow, perch, ride the currents, etc.

Back