Fist Additions to the tank

bdejong

Reefing newb
First occupants to the tank.

_MG_8317.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks and I will. I also took your advice on the cardinal fish. We found a cool Banggai Cardinal that was wayyy to cool to pass up. All three of them (the two percs and the cardinal) are small. Now were just going to sit back and enjoy them for awhile.

Nice clowns. Make sure you have a sponge or cover on your power heads and intakes to the filters and skimmer, because I lost one perc and a wtchman goby to that dang murdering powerhead. Good luck.

I would also tend to agree, once the fish were acclimated and introduced into the tank the Cardinal ventured over to where the intake was and appeared to have no trouble swimming around it. Initially when I saw him swim over towards it I was ready to pull the plug, but it didn't even look like it bothered him at all.

This may not be the case for all Power Heads and I expect that it is quite a different story for overflows and such but I would think that as long as the fish is healthy it should be able to swim away.

I am going to keep the plastic screen on it anyways, I see no reason to run it without it.

not when it gets eaten by a filter.

Dont the filters also have screen caps on them? Not the mesh type but at least a pointed tip with slots in it? Or is the fish being sucked through the slits?

bdejong said:
Dont the filters also have screen caps on them? Not the mesh type but at least a pointed tip with slots in it? Or is the fish being sucked through the slits?
one of my bad personal expierances I have a penguin 330 on a 29 and the pre filter was too big for the tank so I took it off big mistake the morning that I was to host the club meeting I found my male maroon in the filter dead I was mad he had been fine for a month and the mornig of just got too close and swoop up he went.

Doooh, that kind of like when you keep that scrap of tubing for a few years and the day after you throw it away you all of a sudden need it.

Do you have any recent pics of your 30 gallon setup?

bdejong said:
Doooh, that kind of like when you keep that scrap of tubing for a few years and the day after you throw it away you all of a sudden need it.

Do you have any recent pics of your 30 gallon setup?
yes we have pics but theyve not been posted yet.

No I know they were healthy and swiming and eating fine but I have a almost 400 gph powerhead that had no cover just a 1/2 inch tube coming down about 1 inch that sucks hard and sucked the two fish in it also sucked a snail that got too close to the power head in.

wow a sand sifter star in a 29 thats awesome are you aware they get up to 2 ft in diameter? Just thoght Id let you know.

Almost missed that comment. I did some more checking and I think I made a HUGE mistake on this one.

Let me first state that it was my mistake to not research the species before purchase. I went to the LFS looking for a bittle star, all they had was the Chocolate chips and the sand sifting. the Chocolate Chips I had already heard were not reef safe, and the label on the tank for the sand sifting star stated reef safe. I asked the guy at the store if it would be good in my tank, and yes he dd know the size since I had been talking to him about the clowns.

Now I find out that the sand sifting start need like a huge tank and that it may have already eaten every good thing out of my sand bed. I am going to take him back today. And I have to say that I may not be back. While I accept that it is my responsibility to research the species before I buy them but I also feel that the LFS guy should know what it is he is selling.

Either way, lesson learned and I will take steps to ensure that I dont do this again.

Back