Flame Scallop?

Dont do it, they just starve to death in all but the largest, most mature tanks. They arent photosynthetic and can only eat the smallest foods, much smaller than commercial phytoplankton blends available. Plus even if there was a food available for them, at the amount of food required to keep them healthy, you would have a water chemistry nightmare on hand.

I got one not too long ago. It seems to thrive if you take a turkey baster and blast the rock so to stir up all the detritus in the water column. Filter feeders like the fine particles of crud.

Id be interested to see how your scallop is doing in 6 months sen, will you let me know?

I will. When I hear people complain about not getting livestock that might soon die, such as a scallop, I ask myself how many scallops I have eaten in the last 6 months? Is the flame scallop really that rare we need to worry about one?

But, yeah, a 14G is way to small for a scallop. If it dies while you are gone it could quickly pollute the water in such a small tank.

I dont see why we need to buy animals that in our tanks have such a short life span, especially when the majority of the ones collect are the females because they are larger. To me is just selfish when people do that.

I dont see why we need to buy animals that in our tanks have such a short life span, especially when the majority of the ones collect are the females because they are larger. To me is just selfish when people do that.

How is it anymore selfish than having a few extra scallops on your plate when you are eating at Red Lobster?

I see it as the difference between killing an animal to eat it vs killing an animal to stuff it and put it on your wall

I assure you I will not be putting my flame scallp on a wall. And what about all the people who can't finish their scallop platter at Joe's Crab Shack? ? My rule is only take what is plentiful out of the ocean.

Mine is still going strong had him for over a month now :p He swims back in forth at night i can hear him bump the glass lol

they seem to do fine for 6 to 8 months or so then very quickly die off.. I have tried them twice over the years, same result and about the same time frame for both.. I wouldnt reccommend them to anyone to put in their tank..

Mine lasted a year the only reason mine died was my summer crash. When my tank got cooked when I was at work. getting home and icing it did now help at all after 12-14hours a day. Other than that one thing I found that works is the filter feeder formula I got from John at REEFCLEANERS.ORGhttp://www.reefcleaners.com/ that stuff works wonders.... I don't see them as having short life spands as much as they are like a high maintenance spouse..... If your willing to tank on the up keep then there worth having. Just my opinion....

Last edited:
Back