Flat Worms are now gone

reefer2b

Reefing newb
Well mostly. I did the FWE today. First I set up the filter with new charcoal and some charcoal foam inserts. I then set up a 5 gal bucket about half full and treated the water. I put a little more than half my rocks in the bucket along with with a power head. (I left the foundation rocks and a few that I recalled being problem balancing.) I treated the tank and started syphoning worms. I got what I could. They just seemed to keep coming. I finally stopped when the water level was down about a third. I added new water back to the tank and turned on the filter. The fish were doing fine and trying to figure out were to hide.
Then it was the rocks turn. I used the power head to blow any worms off the rocks and while I was at it pulled some of the hair algae off. It was not a fun task putting the rocks back in the tank and they still aren't were they were before but their back in there and balanced. (One fell over on my anenome; but it seems fine now; not at the time though)
I just changed the filter charcoal and foams again and all seems well. There are few worms still alive on the glass, but I'm hoping the six line will keep them getting to such a large amount again.
I am glad I did it the way I did. The water in the bucket was nasty. It was a bright yellow. My tank didn't turn yellow at all so I'm guessing most of these worms were in the rock. It would've been a lot more difficult with a larger tank and more rocks but seeing the water in the bucket it would be worth it if you had a way to do it. I'd buy and use a trash can if I had too.
One more thing I found out. A hermit crab can live for hours; at least 3 out of the water. When I was cleaning up I found a shell on the floor picked it up and there was a crab in it. I tossed it in the tank and it immediately scrambled up a rock.

Glad to hear you that you got the flatworms out.Hopefully they wont come back,but be ready just in case.

My six line wrasse eats them (I've watched him do it) there were just to many of them. I haven't seen any today and those that were on the glass are gone

Back