Floating particles in tank help

cravinmohead22

Reefing newb
ok my tank is done cycling and im waiting a few days to see if i get a mini cycle because i just bought another 20lbs. of rock before i get my first fish. my question is i have alot of things floating in my tank that looks like skin. i noticed it a few other times before but it was only a piece here and their. it would go away and now its everywhere. any idea what this could be. i did add 4 turbo snails and 4 other snails too. the ones that burry in the sand.

I had that same stuff about this time last year when I started cycling my 55.
I thought it was maybe what was left from the die off on the rock.Just my guess.

i hope your right. did it go away by itself? i also heard some invert will molt and shed its outer skin. thats what i was thinking. that i might have gotton a invert hitch hicker that i havnt seen yet.

Yeah,Mine cleared up by iteslf in about a week week and a half.
A lot of inverts molt.Shrimps,crabs,stuff like that.But those skins are usually recogniziable(yeah,my spelling sux this afternoon).
If you used un-cured rock,it could also be the film from dead bacteria.
I used un-cured rock to start the cycle and figured thats where it came from.

I agree, it's probaly die-off from the rock. if you have some type of mechanical filtration such has a hob filter or canister, you could temporarily run it to help clean up.

Back