Flood!

beancntr

Back into Salt
Things were flowing along great. This morning I noticed that the water level dropped and lost the siphon on the filter. I topped it off and got the siphon going, and noticed the powerhead was not pumping water back into the tank. The sump overflowed. I took the powerhead pump out of the water and it was running. When I put it back into the water it would pump water for about 2 seconds, then quit. I had to turn the whole thing off before leaving for work. I know NOTHING about these wet/dry sumps. Any help is appreciated. My bulldog can't swim.

When was the last time you cleaned the needle.If not, most pumps you can twist the intake off to clean the needle?If its new I would return to the manufacture if possible.Also check the plugg and make sure its in the socket and not half way out, done that before..One more thing unplugg the pump and use a fan or something to see if it the plugg is working properly.hope this helps

The powerhead will work for a few seconds if I take it out of the water and put it back in, then nothing. It's a brand new pump and tube (3 days old) I can hear the motor running, and it works for a few seconds if I take the pump out of the water and then set it back in. Is there too much water in the sump? I don't know why this would be a factor, but I'm at a loss.

Sounds to me like either you got to much head pressure or a bad pump.If it worked for a while,then i'd say its a bad pump.

You might need to turn your ball valve, you could have too much out flow and not enough return flow. Another sugestion would be to raise your over flow with the screws that way when somthing does happen you wont have too much water flowing back in the sump to overflow it.

Ok, I'm going to let my blondness out - what/where is a ball valve? Is that the air valve on the powerhead pump? Again, I know nothing about these sumps. LOL
Yote - we share the same b-day!

Is your tank drilled or a overflow hanging on the back? If it hangs on the back it should have a hand turnable ball valve on the plumming coming out the bottom of the over flow, or closer to the sump on the same plumming.

Yes it is, Yote. Well, whatever the mystery is, it seems to have fixed itself. Bobby, there is no flow control going out of the overflow or into the sump. ??? Water is flowing again and my salinaty is at 1.21. Ordering rock next week.

You might want to bring your salinaty up to about 1.024.
You'll really have fun when you get your rock. I spend at least 2 1/2 to 3 hours every night looking around my rock with a small flash light.Im like a kid in a candy store every time I find a new critter.

Salinity is up to 1.023. Powerhead is working fine now. Mystery?! I've been looking around - what do you know about caribbean live rock?

From what I can tell and have read,the caribbean rock is a little heavier the the feji or marshall island rock.Other wise I dont think it would be any different than the rest except for maybe the type of hitch hikers you end up with.

I went ahead an ordered 80# of the caribbean rock. Since that is where my husband and I have been, we thought it would add something personal. I should get it Thursday. I'm excited to have something in my tank other than water and sand! lol Maybe by then I can figure out how to post pictures.

Again - this site has been invaluable. Thank you all for your experience and input.

Back