flow advice

lumpy

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon tank that I'm setting up. The water drains into my sump from the top left hand side and returns on the top right hand side both in the back. At the top left on the front I have a Koralia evolute 750.

I'm certain this is not enough flow as the bottom of the tank has very little current so I'm thinking about buying some more power heads. Any advice on what kind and how many I should buy? I'd like to ultimatly setup a wave effect but am strapped for funds at the moment.

Also what is a good placement for the powerheads? Is it the current one placed well or should I move it someplace else?

You should have at least 2 powerheads in a 75 -- and you are right, the one you have isn't enough. They should be placed in opposite back corners, facing forward at an angle, to create some cross current. And they should be placed close enough to the top that they are causing a ripple on the water's surface.

A couple more Koralias would do the trick. Most people shoot for at least 20 to 30 times the tank's volume in turnover -- so in a 75 gallon tank, that would be 1,500 to 2,250 gph (add up the flow of the powerheads).

Back