Flow in a 125g-questions/problems

Max125g

Reefing newb
I have a few questions regarding flow in my tank.

I have a 6’ 125g tank with a Little Giant little giant 4-MDQX-SC which can run up to 1325. Right now I have it dialed back to maybe 50%-75% running capacity. I have one return line pushing water from my left overflow (only left side overflow, not dual) directly across to the right side of the tank. It seems to move water back to the left side as well but definitely slows down. I just recently put a maxijet 600 right under the return that pushes water to the left side of the tank, but its not too strong and very ugly with the cord flopping out of the tank.

My question(s) are below.

1. 1. I seriously doubt that I currently have enough flow. I can see a few sand particles building up on some of my corals which is a clear indication. Also, my low flow areas have a small brown/diatom algae issue but we’re not here talking about algae, just confirming that I have flow issues.
2. 2. My tank is acrylic and it has two lids. If I put anything inside the tank that has cords I will either have to drill the top of the tank for a way to get the cord out or have it coming out of the top lid, both very unsightly. I think the wireless circulation pumps are way out of my budget at 400 each.
3. 3. If I were to just split up my return into maybe 3 directions (keep one going to right side of tank, one to middle front glass and a third to the left side of the tank)and turn it up from 50-70% to maybe even 100%, would that suffice for flow?
4. 4 If option 3 does not work and I need to get additional circulation pumps, what are the recommended ones? I have heard a plethora of names/model numbers thrown around.
5. 5. Are there specific directions I should have the water being pushed to create a nice flow in a 125g 6’ long tank?

Thanks in advance

1. You dont have enough flow, do some searches on here on flow recommendations and you should see that you should have around 40x water movement. My 120g has 2 1200's and 2 950's, which is 35x not including my return pumps.

2. You should not have have solid "lids" on your tank as it will lead to gas exchange and evaporation problems. Most cover with DIY screens or Egg create if they have fish jumping problems. Search around on here about that.

3/4. You need circulation pumps, they aren't the prettiest things but look at every tank build on here of your size and they have them. Koralia is a good brand and their magnet suctions are convenient for a reasonable price. While you are deciding on circulation look into whether you will want a wavemaker or not Koralia makes pumps made for them which is why its smart to get them now if you plan on doing it later. Search around on here.

5. Every tank is different with water movement. You basically have to move them around until it has the most optimal movement for your tank. Start with one aimed towards the top to create a ripple on surface and help with the gas exchange and the other aimed towards the front/center.

Thanks Tritan, guess i'm off to do some research on your recommended Koralia pumps.

Any recommendations on specific models?

It kind depends how much you want to spend. If you want to spend the least amount of money while achieving optimal circulation I would go with 4x Koralia evolution 1050's (amazon has them for around $40 a piece). You can always get the Koralia Smart Wave pump controller for them later to create random wave effect.

Just my opinion..

2. You should not have have solid "lids" on your tank as it will lead to gas exchange and evaporation problems. Most cover with DIY screens or Egg create if they have fish jumping problems. Search around on here about that.

really? i thought leaving them on prevented evap?

It does help cut down on evap but not worth the risks associated with cutting down oxygen exchange. Evaporation is also a must for tanks that are getting too hot. Some people still use lids if they have a sump.

When you say evap is a must for tanks that are running too hot, what do you mean exactly? My temp runs from 79.5-81, which is on the warmer side of things but i also have a sump and setting up a separate refigium today.

sounds like i guess i should lose the "lids" and make some screen/mesh lids. switching to LEDs soon anyways so heat from the lights shouldn't be any issue.

Yes by evaporation problem I meant that you will not allow the proper evaporation to take place. Let me forewarn you that you should expect a large amount of evaporation on a tank of that size and should look into a Auto Top Off (ATO) system. Search around on here and start planning now unless you plan on manually pouring gallon/s of water each day.

The amount of evap varies greatly by tank depending on the temp, humidity, and tank placement. I would expect roughly 1 gallon (give or take) per day on 125g. Also make sure you are using pure RO/DI water with no salt to top the tank off otherwise you will gradually raise the salinity of the tank. Just trying to warn you of the issues you will run into along the way.

You can find all the information you need on this forum. Ive spent countless hours reading every issue in this "New to Reefing" section and still learn things all the time.

Back