flow

bullitt21

Reefing newb
i have 2 koralia #4's and 1-#3.do i got to have a wave maker?

1 more?.is there such of thing of having to much flow?i added a pair of clowns and they just stay up in the one corner like there is to much flow for them.

thanks all

No keep them on 24/7. Powerheads need to beon more than any other equipment because they circulate the water. Without that circulation, your tank will start to die within hours. Also, i would recommend running the skimmer 24/7

Yep, C is right. Powerheads need to run 24/7. And I don't think you have too much flow for your tank. What you describe is normal behavior for clowns. They tend to stay in one spot because they are territorial. They don't swim around like some other types of fish.

Yote is right,

I love wavemakers too. I believe they are a beneficial part of a true reef system.
That being said, they are a tad bit tough to work with from what I have seen.
I have heard that splashing of the surface may occur as well as some tanks breaking from too strong of waves.....

Still, if I had a few hundred lying around, I would definately invest in some Vortechs.

aaahhh if only we all had a few hundred left over from holiday spending for a wavemaker! Seriously, I think a reef tank would benefit greatly from one, but its one of those things that arent totally necessary for success unless you have endless cash to go for it. I heard of some people who did a setup (it had a Japanese name which I can't remember right now) where water is pumped into a small tank on a hinge that, when it becomes full, falls down and releases a wave into the tank, flips up, fills up again, and so on, creating a poor man's surge. I haven't figured out how to make this work with my system, so for now it'll just be a thought for the future.

Back