Flukes

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Has anyone ever encountered them in their system?

The Kole tang that I have recently added has two or four spots on it. They are definately not ich, velvet, brooklynella etc. They are clear or opaque about 1-2mm in length and oblong. One of them is on the head the rest are on the fins. I havent noticed anything else on any other fishes.

I do have a 90 gallon that I can set up as a hospital tank/quarantine tank which (I should have done previously I know this so save the lectures) What do you treat flukes with? Formaline?

i would think copper would work but the only problem is that tangs are sensitive to high doses of copper for more than a a couple weeks i would say three to four at the most with them in a copper treated water.

I've not had them in my tank.But I've treated them at the store.
We usually just give the fish a fresh water bath thats treated with quick cure for 4 or 5 minutes,no more than 7 minutes.The flukes will just turn loose and fall off.
But be aware that you have to watch the fish and keep it moving,dont let it stop swimming in the bath.Any flukes that dont fall off,you can gently scrape off with your finger nail.

We usually just give the fish a fresh water bath thats treated with quick cure for 4 or 5 minutes,no more than 7 minutes.
This will definitely work (dunno what the quick cure is tho), just make sure the pH of the fresh water is as high as the tank water. That is VERY important with a f/w dip. Tap/fresh water typically does not have a high pH.
This is what they use in their quarantine at the Diver's Den(Live Aquaria).
Our reef club had Kevin Kohen, Director of Divers Den as a speaker at 1 of our swaps. According to Kevin, they use copper or formalin to treat any fish with parasites. They also do f/w dips for flukes. Prazipro (praziquantel) is more of a dewormer. If you ever had to take your dog to the vet for worms, they give them praziquantel.

Back