Fluval 406?

Damnselpa

Just Fish
I have recently got a free Fluval 406 from a friend. He was moving and had to give up some pieces of equipment. He used the filter for his freshwater tank. It still has the same sponges and media bags in it along with the ceramic rings. My plan is to clean the filter from top to bottom and replace all medias and sponges along with the ceramic rings, but am wondering
whether this filter will help my tank or just be another hung of junk that needs cleaning every other week.

I was also wondering about the types of media to put in it if I get it up and running. :question:

IMO, it will just be a piece of equipment that will need cleaning every few days.

However, you can use it as needed to run carbon or to polish the water. Canisters are really a freshwater technology that don't do as well in saltwater.

I was using 2 fluval 405 on my tank for a couple months, i did not have any media in the filters only rubble rock on the bottom treys and polishing pads on the top trey, They did fairly good for me, but i was cleaning and changing the [polishing pads atleast evry 3 to 4 days. Now i have upgraded to a sump, Where i also clean and change out my Filter socks every 3 days. LOL But the sump also has a skimmer and a refugium on it, plus i dont have to shut it down to swap the socks.

I have also used a canister for a short time and had to clean it weekly...in a pinch it can work but is a pain in the ass in the end. Having a sump with skimmer and refugeum is so much better and easier to maintain.

Thanks. I have a sump and refugium right now but thought, hey a free filter why not. I think I might clean it out anyway that way if I do need it it is ready to go and I can run it in a pinch. Or I will just use it in my qt.

It's good to have one on hand in case of emergencies, or just to polish water now and then. If you run it 24/7, that's a lot of extra maintenance for you to keep it clean, so I wouldn't do that. But if you ever have to treat for flatworms and need to run carbon for a few days, you will be glad you kept it around. :)

Back