Fluvial filter sump conversion

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hey guys. I keep getting told I don't need my mechanical filter. That I am fine with just my hob skimmer and I don't need my sump. I want to start getting some coral sometime shortly and was wondering what I shoud turn it into. My sump is just a basic fluvial filter. There is an egg crate bottom and I was thinking maybe chaeto under that and something lse on top of the egg crate. If anyone has any ideas on what I should do with this think feel free to chime in!!! N

I've read about different methods of using chaeto for filtration. Should I just toss the chaeto in the sump or shoul i attach it somehow to the return sump guranting all water passes through the chaeto?

Wouldn't the suction from the sump pull the chaeto down the water to the sump? I was also thinking of putting a simple Float swittch ato on it as well for now, until I can afford something a little more technical and sophisticated

can you please post picture of your equipment set up? Im not sure that you have an actual sump, it sounds like you just have a canister filter.

Unfortunately I'm not home and wont be for some time. It's a box with a lid just a little too small for it on one section with a hose installed in it. It's just a tick too small that way if water leaks it will go right back into the box. Directly under the lid is a removable tray where you put in a fluvial filter pad. The box is separated into two sections with a hole at the bottom along the length of the divider below a removable egg crate tray. The second section simply houses the pump with the return hose.

Just picture a rectangular box with 2 sections and a hole at the bottom diving the sections from one to the next. It is literally that simple.

Back