Flying saucer...

baeya

Aquarium Addict
I have these in my 10 gal SW tank. Anyone know what they are? Are they harmful?
They look like tiny jelly fish to me.....LOL

Click on picture to view video...

Oh, I see...... there are thousands of the reproductive polys on the glass and live rock. They are pretty cool looking. The article says they are hard to get rid of. Great. Glad they are only in my 10 gal tank.

BTW.....thank you for the information. All those little white dots on the glass are the beginning of the polyps. To the left are the same amount in a more advanced stage of development.

No, they aren't spiral shaped. I think there are a few things going on. There are some slug looking animals in there and those white dots might be eggs. Then there are some things with long swaying 'hairs' on them stuck to the glass, too. I thought that those were turning into the jellyfish looking things.
It's a 10 gal tank with one piece of live rock and a false percula clownfish in it. I'm going to re-home the clownfish after the Holidays. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the tank yet. Maybe put a shrimp in it.

I will try to get some better pictures of all those things in a day or two. Lots of busy business and home stuff for the next few days.....

They are little jellyfish. But they aren't hydroid jellies. Hydroid jellies look like snowflakes. These guys look like little saucer shaped jellyfish.

I had saucer shaped jellyfish in my 240 gallon. About the same size as yours. They just disappeared eventually.

Did you add any new rocks to the tank? They might have been hiding in there.

It is also possible that your existing rocks already had them in their colonial polyp stages and now they strobilized for some reason.
Once in a blue moon some hyrdoids in my tank would strobilize but the baby jellies would only live for a few minutes as the clownfish just gulps them up with no second thought.

The rock that is in there was purchased from Petco to originally start an Evolve2. I needed a larger tank to hold my Mandarin before adding him to my Seahorse tank so I put it into a 10 gallon. The Mandarin in now happy in the 65 with the SHs and I have an ORA false percula clown in the 10 gal waiting to re-home.
The clown isn't eating the jellies. I definately overfeed to make sure that he gets some food in his tummy before it sinks to the bottom. He only seems to eat the food when it is at mid suspension. I added a couple red reef hermits, a scarlet skunk and a peppermint shrimp yesterday to eat the excess.

Can anyone identify the swaying things on the rock and the things on the glass?

Click on picture for video....

I think they are hydroids. I'm gonna give the little tank a couple more months and see what happens before I nuke it. I scraped the glass down yesterday and did a 50% water change. I'll take the rock out and scrub it down in salt water today. Will repeat every other day.
I've also found a food that the clown will eat that stays where he can pick at it until gone, so I'm not overfeeding anymore. I've read that feeding freshly hatched baby brine shrimp can cause hydroids from the shrimp eggs. I use bbs to feed my baby FW angelfish so I was squirting some in for him. Won't be doing that anymore even though he ate them.

I've read that feeding freshly hatched baby brine shrimp can cause hydroids from the shrimp eggs.

Although it is possible, it is highly improbably. But then again, I have seen stranger chain of events in nature than in fiction.

Actually, let me quote Dr. Ron Shimek regarding this topic:
Dr. Ron Shimek - @ Reef Central said:
Absolutely impossible.

And more:

Dr. Ron Shimek @ Reef Central said:
Yes, feeding any appropriate food source could boost the hydroids.

This is one of many enduring "urban reef myths" - I can think of many ways in which it got started.

Brine shrimp naturally occur in salt lakes and not in the ocean where most colonial hydroids and jellyfish reside. So the possibility of jellyfish being attached to the brine shrimp eggs is very minute.
And add to that the sterilization process done by most brine shrimp egg packages, it is really not likely :)

What is probably happening is that they have a hydroid population explotion because they end up feeding the baby brine shrimp to the hydroids. More food = more population.

Although it is possible, it is highly improbably. But then again, I have seen stranger chain of events in nature than in fiction.

Actually, let me quote Dr. Ron Shimek regarding this topic:

And more:

Brine shrimp naturally occur in salt lakes and not in the ocean where most colonial hydroids and jellyfish reside. So the possibility of jellyfish being attached to the brine shrimp eggs is very minute.
And add to that the sterilization process done by most brine shrimp egg packages, it is really not likely :)

What is probably happening is that they have a hydroid population explotion because they end up feeding the baby brine shrimp to the hydroids. More food = more population.

Ahhhh.....great. Then I was feeding the little suckers....grrrrrrr :pooh: :grumble: :frustrat:

Back