Flying Scallops

Tristan

Detritus
I just found one of these guys while i was snorkeling. i acclimated him and then placed him in my aquarium in the shade of a rock where i can see him. this morning he must have moved into a cave somewhere. will i ever be able to see him again?; considering that he hasnt alreasdy been eaten.

Probably not.
Scallops really dont do that good in our tanks no how.We just cant provide enough food for them.

Guam. the ocean water from the pipelines in the marine lab at the University of Guam is a confirmed SUPER CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow lucky u. but im sorry to say that the scalop will mostlikly die. :(. i overdose plankton foods and it still died, some animals only have a place on the reef. it will take roughfly take about 6 mounts to a year though

true, i am more intrested in protecting the actuall reefs other than my aquarium, what is in an aquarium should be able to live hapfully in an aquarium. thats why i am going to start aquacolturing corals and sellng them so they are not taken off the reefs. its the frst step of hundreds but if everyone starts taking diffrent steps then that helps

hate to say it, but this is probably one of those "chalk it up to experience" situations, where this one is going to die, but you will know better for next time. BTW, It is never a good idea to take from your tank and release to the ocean. It's probably ok in this case, but you never know what foreign element you could be releasing into the natural habitat there that could wind up destroying it as we have seen in reefs around the world.

everything in my aquarium is local.
Cool, I have to admit I am not familiar with your build. If nothing else, that's good advice for anyone reading your thread. It sounds like you have a pretty nice setup with clean seawater and access to livestock straight from the source.

yea its pretty cool, but i would much rather be in the states so i can have access to all the things that you can get. i only have local stuff because it's illegal to bring in anything from anywhere!! Arrrrggghhhh!!!

i know what you mean about not putting anything in the ocean thing. that is the main reason why Customs wont let any foreign animals or plants into Guam. It's good because we rarely get exposed to new sicknesses and diseases here. only bad part is that we cant get all those beautiful creatures here.

even with dogs, it's hard to bring here. takes a lot of paper work and lots of months to put them into quarantine and do lots of check ups.

Thanks for the advice! any advice is appreciated by me.

Back