Food Questions

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
I havent really put a lot of thought into my food selection until just now. I currently have a Kole tang, pair of clowns, and lawnmower blenny and a skunk shrimp. As of now I feed Mysis w/selcon, Marine Cuisine, and Algae sheets w/Garlic.

I spot feed my LPS w/ mysis once a week and need to supplement for my SPS. So what food(type and brand) do you recommend for the SPS and what SHOULD I also have on hand to vary the fish/corals diet. Any and all suggestions will be welcomed.

Also what is your opinion on adding rotifers and pytoplankton to the system as supplemental food for pods and corals?

Hey Ryan,

I have to recommend the following.
I have been using them now with good results.

I use Piscine Energetics Mysis (PEMYSIS) (HUGE PIECES are frozen, about three times the size of the regular frozen mysis cubes you are using)

I have been dosing phyto for a couple months now and it seems to be working good with the corals.
Locally, we have a guy selling some really good stuff. You may be able to buy it in NY, or direct if you contact him.

http://www.mysis.com/pemysis.html

http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/About_Dr.php

fish poop is probably the best thing youll find for sps, but i have heard that frozen oyster eggs twice a week is pretty good too

I dont use any phyto.I figure thats the green tint that likes to get on the glass.But I do use the Brightwell Aquatics Zooplanktos-M Zooplanktos-L and Koral Color.Each once a week.
According to Eric Borneman,SPS like to feed on micro-zooplankton,which is what the Zooplanktos is.

I think that is the biggest problem that I have with the foods that I feed, they came in 3x6" sheets and I have to wittle off whatever sized chunk I feel like feeding that day. The clowns really dont care much for the selcon enriched mysis either. Not sure if they are too big or what the deal is.

My fish didnt seem to like their food enriched with selcon either.Si I got full bottle setting here,thats only been used about 6 times.

I dont use any phyto.I figure thats the green tint that likes to get on the glass.But I do use the Brightwell Aquatics Zooplanktos-M Zooplanktos-L and Koral Color.Each once a week.
According to Eric Borneman,SPS like to feed on micro-zooplankton,which is what the Zooplanktos is.

Hey Yote, why use both of the L and M versions of Zooplanktos?

JMO,But some corals have smaller polyps,even in SPS.So to my way of thinking,the smaller the polyp,the smaller the mouth,the smaller the plankton needs to be for the polyp to be able to feed on it.

JMO,But some corals have smaller polyps,even in SPS.So to my way of thinking,the smaller the polyp,the smaller the mouth,the smaller the plankton needs to be for the polyp to be able to feed on it.

Right, but one was listed as 500-1000m and the other from 500-2000m. So why not just use the latter? :12:

LOL, I see said the blind man....

OK, just wondering because I need to put at least one of them in my shopping cart. :)

Back