Food requirements?

Wadepee

Reefing newb
Hi all,

Was thinking of getting 2 x Banded coral cleaner shrimp and 1 x small Copperband butterfly.

Apart from letting a little bit of aptasia loose in the tank, can i also use nori for fish food? will this be a reasonable starting point for food requirements....

W.

Don't go with ether one, The Some people say the coral banded shrimp is ok but I have had bad experience with it. had one eat my Fire Fish. Maybe if you get it small but I would not try it. Also The cooper band is one of those fish that are best left in the ocean. Or a really established tank with an expert keeper. They are really finicky eaters. They are really hard to keep even for really experienced Reefers and fish keepers. Do some research and then do some more before jumping the gun.

Thanks, I've heard that from someone else as well - will take the advice!

The 2 shrimp are a given, that's all I really want in my tank, i just thought a fish to go with them would be cool, any recommendations? Can procure pretty much whatever I want very easily and very free.

Soap fish?

Moorish idol?

Whats a pretty / hardy fish?

W.

Last edited:
Defenetly not a Moorish idol. Another one of those leave in the ocean fish. So you have a fairly small tank, are you going to make it a reef tank ??? and at the same time you might have the issues since your going to need small fish and have those coral banded shrimp. You can go with a blood red cleaner shrimp. there pretty cool.

On fish in a tank that size your going to want to stick with smaller fish. Check out

Liveaquaria.com

They have all kinds of fish and even if you don't pick one from them they have the Size recommendations of the tank needed and they let you know the care level and other stuff about the fish.

In this hobby you need to research everything before you jump the gun.

Trust me I lost a lot of money in fish when I first started my tank because I jump the gun.

Cool,

Basically, my shop is the tropical reef (Lat.19S) at the end of my street, and all the bombies I dive on for crays and trout/jacks have all the standard flash reef fishy's and crustaceans / invertebrates on em'

I've kept fish before (moray eel/lion-fish/epaulette shark) but just for a little while before letting them go again.....this time I wanted something more long term now that i can have my tank setup long term.

So, i can "afford" to just get whatever and try it out, and obviously release if they don't seem comfortable....Don't want anything to suffer....unlimited, fresh ocean water too, just back the ute up down at the boat ramp....

W.

Unless literally everything (EVERYTHING) comes out of the part of the ocean that you plan on releasing things into, you absolutely cannot just put things back in the ocean.

Literally everything (EVERYTHING) that is in, and has been in my tank, plus released, has come from, and gone to: the reef at the end of my street. It would be more trouble/hassle for me, for it not to.

Adding introduced species into an alien ecosystem is not a responsible thing to do.

W.

Yes, live herring, whiting, bristle worms, little crabs, unidentified shrimp & worms....all dived for/cast netted from the beach/reef.

Last edited:
Back