Found a crab today...

Homer

Reefing newb
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J18y1PycIFk]Crab HD kinda macro - YouTube[/ame]

any ideas?

the close up starts from like 1:30 or something...

Looks like a xanthid crab to me. They come in many different colors. IMO, take it out since it may become a problem when it gets bigger.

Looks like a xanthid crab to me. They come in many different colors. IMO, take it out since it may become a problem when it gets bigger.

My friend, You should know about me one thing...I do not take out crabs, due to the reason I strongly belieave that if the crab is being fed it is not going to attack anything else.... The only thing i have removed from my aquarium are the FIng bristle worms :)

Xanthid coral crabs form symbiotic relationships with coral. They live in and feed on the coral in return for defending it from more voracious predators such as crown-of-thorns starfish. Although the crab itself eats some of the coral's polyps, there is no evidence to suggest that the coral is harmed by this low-key feeding. In fact, corals with crabs associated are generally more healthy than those without, probably because they do not suffer large-scale attacks by more voracious predators.

Back