Found a star

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Was cleaning the glass, scraping off the old green and some coralline off the sides of my tank and moving stuff around today. I lifted a zoa and saw this small whitish colored star fall off the bottom of it. Any clue what kind it is and if I can put it back or not? I do have a green brittle star which is pretty big but I'm not sure if they breed or not. It's about an inch long from one end to another.

2011-11-02175731.jpg

2011-11-02175713.jpg

It's a micro brittle star, they're good and you probably have hundreds of them in your tank. Definitely put that guy back.

+1. If your lucky enough...you'll get to see them spawn. Mine do 3 or 4 times per year. Pretty cool and gross at the same time.

Google green brittle star, green death star, green brittle death star, or any combination. You'll find a ton of accounts where, when the star gets bigger it will ambush sleeping fish and eat them.

Oh, you definitely have the green "death" star! I had one last year and he was really cool. I would target feed him meaty pieces of food and it was interesting to watch him digest it. But then.......he at my yellow watchman goby!

Yeah, I knew about the rep they have but I have had him for about five months now and haven't had any occurrance of missing fish so I'm fine with him being in there.

If that is indeed a green serpent star then I would ban him to the sump or any other remote location, because when it gets big enough it will prey on sleeping fish. I've lost 2 basslets and a damsel but had one fat happy serpent.

Back