frag plugs

biodarwin

Reefing newb
I got my frags on little plugs. I just got a chisel and a hammer to break up some rock for a rubble pile. Can I use them to just knock off the "plug" part and just glue the disk to a rock? Should I glue the frag to a broken off piece of LR instead of the LR in my tank so it would be easier to pull out and frag.

i prefer to glue them directly onto a little piece of rock. looks cleaner and easier to wedge into another rock so crabs or anything else wont knock it down.

The plug quickly gets covered in coralline and blends into the rock if you leave it be. I've never bothered to remove corals from plugs -- the risk of damaging them in the process or losing them as "floaters" in the tank doesn't seem worth it to me.

I might have mis-phrased what I was trying to say. I dont want to remove the coral from the plug, just want to remove the stem of the plug from the disc so that it is just a "waffer" to glue on the rocks. I tried to use a chisel and a hammer, but the stem doesn't come off close to the disc of the plug. On an upnote I have a reason to buy a new dremel tool :)

You guys are killing my ability to buy power tools here :) The scissors will probably work, my wife wants to get me a fragging kit for my b-day anyways :)

Back