Frag Tank Question

Amba

Ol' Salty
I currently have 3 tanks that I am not using, and I am thinking about starting another frag tank (since I sold my last one). I have a couple of questions for some of the fragging veterans out there:

1. Should I plumb my frag tank to my existing display tank?

2. Should they share a sump?

3. Should they be separate altogether (I have several skimmers, lights, sumps, etc equipment is not an issue).

4. Barebottom?

Looking for any/all advice please spam up this thread with anything that could help me out. I want to use some of the gear that I have, but I don't want to waste any time/money either.

Thanks!

hey amba,

i just answered your questions in my thread where you initially asked them but for anyone that stumbles along here i stated that you i think it is best to keep them separated from your main system.

the only advantage i can really think of is the water volume is higher plumbed in.

are you planning on utilizing a sump for your new frag tank setup?

it is nice to have a dedicated system so that you can dose and maximize your money without having to dose a much larger system. also, your frag tank will perhaps receive things that your entire system and DT do not need.

barebottom is something i just was thinking about for my frag tank, actually.

as long as you aren't going to have any sand sifting or living critters, then obviously you are okay. do you have any plans for a fish or two in your frag tank? something to think about.

i decided that i want to add black sand to mine because it will allow the corals to pop more, will cycle the tank faster, in case i ever want a sand sifting fish in there, and because i know i'll have some clams that prefer a sand substrate. i don't know if i'll fill my entire tank with it but portions.

hope that helps!

hey amba,

i just answered your questions in my thread where you initially asked them but for anyone that stumbles along here i stated that you i think it is best to keep them separated from your main system.

the only advantage i can really think of is the water volume is higher plumbed in.

I have ~50 gallons of water that is not part of the display running in the system, I don't think added volume is really needed in my DT.

are you planning on utilizing a sump for your new frag tank setup?

I own several sumps that I have built myself, I will be using one on the frag tank.

it is nice to have a dedicated system so that you can dose and maximize your money without having to dose a much larger system. also, your frag tank will perhaps receive things that your entire system and DT do not need.

The only thing that makes me a little iffy is that I spent a ton of money on my reactors and such, I do have spares of some of them, but my Aqua C Rx-1 Calcium reactor for example is something that I have on my DT. I do own the BRS supplements, I could dose them that way I think.

barebottom is something i just was thinking about for my frag tank, actually.

Now that you mention it, I'm going to use some extra substrate I have lying around in case of clams. Good call.

as long as you aren't going to have any sand sifting or living critters, then obviously you are okay. do you have any plans for a fish or two in your frag tank? something to think about.

A fish or two might be nice and help stabilize the tank I think.

i decided that i want to add black sand to mine because it will allow the corals to pop more, will cycle the tank faster, in case i ever want a sand sifting fish in there, and because i know i'll have some clams that prefer a sand substrate. i don't know if i'll fill my entire tank with it but portions.

hope that helps!

Thanks a ton, helped a lot!

Back