frag tank question...

Cheeser

I Love Reefer
I'm building a 40 gallon (breeder) frag tank. It'll have a 20 gallon sump/refuge. I plan on growing strictly sps in this frag tank, cuz I have another frag tank plumbed into my main tank that I grow Lps in. So I'll have mostly acros and montis...stuff like that and it'll be independent so I can keep everything as clean as possible. I don't plan on having any fish...anyway my question is...
Should I go skimmerless and use as much space as possible in my sump for rock and cheato since I'm not gonna have any fish? Or should I just go ahead and plan on getting a skimmer since I'm trying to keep my water prestine? This will determine how I setup my sump cuz the skimmer will take a big chunk out of the space in my sump, and I don't wanna go with a hob skimmer. But if I do put a skimmer in my sump I'll add an aqua clear 70 or maybe 2 full of live rock rubble on my frag tank up top.

i know alot of people say such a small tank will do fine without a skimmer so long as ur keeping up with water changes. i plan on doing about 5 gallons a week water changes. i just wanna make sure i do all i can to keep my water as clean as possible. and if having a skimmer will have a bigger impact on my system than just having more room for rock and cheato, then i definitely wanna go with a skimmer. im not having any fish but i know corals poop also... any ideas on what i should do?

i have the same setup basically. a 40B frag tank and it's all acros, poci, stylo, montis, etc. i have a 20L sump as well. all from the petco $1/gallon sale, haha.

i'd encourage you to go with a skimmer. i dont have any fish in it and it's a standalone system and the stuff i skim out is really just as bad as any other system i've had with/without fish. and a 20 sump isn't gonna hold a lot of rock either so i think the skimmer will be a smart move.

If you have a sump, then I would get a skimmer. But if you don't have a sump and you have to put a skimmer in the display tank, then I'd pass on it. In that case, it would take up too much space and look ugly. But if you're not going to see it in the sump, then go for it. It can only help.

Back