Fragging Corals 101 - A Basic Tutorial For Beginners

How DO I Frag a Leather? I want to Chop Up Mine.

If it's a branchy kind just cut off a branch with stainless steel sheers and glue it to something.
If it's like a toadstool or something just cut a piece off making as clean of cuts as possible. Don't cut it with a sawing motion, just get a nice, clean slice.

I'm supposed to be selling a guy some mushroom, leather, and colt coral frags sometime soon so I'll post videos when I frag them.

Ok cool,

One Question tho, What part of the Cut Braching leather coral do I glue? the part that is cut or a Non Cut part. For example DO i cut a Branch at the base and then glue it in the Middle of the branch to a rock or do I glue the Cut part to a rock?

Super Glue Right?

glue does not work very well with soft corals. i like to use fishing line and a needle just run the line through the leather at the base and tie it on to the rock. or you can also use rubberbands to hold it onto the rock

Great videos Chris. I had a few Rics floating around my tank. These gave me the confidence to yank em out and attach them to a nice little piece of live rock.

Ok, it's time for me to frag some zoo's that are growing out of control and onto the live rock. Is it hard to remove them from the LR itself without damaging them? My rock is pretty porus and has lots nooks so they're on there pretty good. Any tips?

first try using tweezers and see if you can just pull them off the rock or use a razer and scrape the base off the rock you have to get the cut as close to the bottom even if you have to take some of the rock with it.. get your PPE out while messing with zoas

I'll definitely wear protection. I don't want to end up looking like that girl who got some in her eye. I'd like to get one of those full face shields that doctors wear( the one that looks like a clear welders mask)

Photobucket deleted some of my vids. Many of the links don't work anymore. :grumble: I don't have a tank at the moment - so I can't make more videos. :frustrat:

Wow i was just going to ask about this and this answered alot of questions. But what would all of you find to be the easiest coral to frag and grow?

Leathers? Such as mushrooms? My knowledge of corals is limited to the dead chunks i us to have for my vary first tank back in 1992. So any names of corals anything at all help wise on this subject would and will be used.

Zoas are pretty easy, you just cut at the bottom of the polyp with and exacto knife (or something similar) and super glue that piece down.

Zoas are pretty easy, you just cut at the bottom of the polyp with and exacto knife (or something similar) and super glue that piece down.

And wear goggles..zoas contain poison that you don't want anything to do with.

Back