Fragging Palythoa's

but the base of these is so much larger i would have to cut through a lot of tissue to get to the tile they are on just don't want to damage them too much

Just don't want to loose $25 a polyp PPE's you know thanks guy for your input i will give it a try here in a month or so once they grow up a little more

The foot between all the polyps grows into a sort of mat. It's all interconnected at the base - like veins.

Just slice in between the polyps - cut the connecting veins between the ones you want to frag and the ones that are to remain on the rock. Then try and slice the foot off the rock or even take a small scale or flake of the rock off with the polyp foot - thats better if you can do it. Then you can just glue the rock flake to a plug.

Or, take an entire rock and just bust it up with a screwdriver and a hammer. Put the flat blade of the screwdriver in between the connecting tissue at the base and bust the rock up. Slice any connecting tissue between the pieces. Instant frags - ALREADY attached to the rock. Now glue each little piece to a plug or larger rock and let em grow for 6 months. :Cheers:

I just used a blade to lift mine off the rock. I didn't really even have to cut the tissue, as it's pretty easy to get a razor beneath them.

Back