Fragging Zoas

Fragging zoas is risky, it's hard to do it without damaging them or killing them. I've never done it because of this. Not to mention the toxins that a lot of zoas exude. The best way to get them onto a new plug or rock is to put a colony of them down and let them spread on their own.

I hope someone else can be more helpful, sorry.

Cut them near the base with a razor blade and use superglue gel to glue them to a plug/rock.That's about it....don't forget to wear gloves and don't rub your eyes.Do this with the zoas out of water,of course.

In my experiance if you damage the "stalk" the polyp may die. When I frag mine I use a razor blade to get under the rock. I will actually cut into the rock a little. Do this to get off what you want then glue them to a frag disk or rubble. It also helps to take some LR with the mat because it gives you something to glue to. The glue seems to stick to the LR better than tot hte mat of the zoa.

Now when fragging Paly's you can cut the stalk in the middle. Just avoid the darker part coming down from the head of the paly. cut below that dark area. The trick is not getting it mixed up once you cut it. It will slime like crazy and if your not careful you will glue the head upside down!! A new head should grow out of the stalk you just cut.

As stated where gloves and don't wipe your eyes with your gooey hands!!

Good luck - remember when in doubt...hack it up!!!

not to bad, looks like a sucessful frag so far.

ZoaFrag001.JPG

I've cut thousands of zoa's over the years. All are different but they are not difficult to frag. Super glue gel and an exacto knife are my two favorite tools. The only other tool I use with zoanthids is a pair of electrical sidecuts.(wire cutters) I cut the membrane inbetween the buds and peel off. I have had my left hand go numb, my fingers and wrist but not thumb, from a small cut in my hand. I was not wearing gloves of any kind. (wierd) and my lip and right side of my check for about 12 hours. Some zoanthids not only slime but "squirt" and I'd gotten squirted in the face. so now I have a light with a shield on it. I'll post a pic. later. But I frag like crazy, so just start cuttin it up and enjoy!!

Heres a pic. of my zoa cutting light. May seem like overkill but I've had my battle with these and they always seem to get the upper hand. The glass comes off for cleaning and always has some small trace of something on it. And i'd hate to go out being done in by a tiny zoanthid!!
IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

nice cutting station! i also noticed they squirt stuff but didn't catch any of it.

Oh and BTW welcome to the forums. don't think i've welcomed ya tell now :P

Back