Fragging

Navarchus

Almost smarter than a pig
Does anyone have any tips for fragging corals? I know it can be done, but I have always been to shy about touching the animals. I have a montipora and a duncan that could use some pruning. For the duncan, do I just break off one of the branches? Do I need a razor blade? Do I need to say 3 Hail Mary's, stand one one foot and throw a penny into my sump?

You can just break off a piece of any coral with a hard skeleton. You can use a dremel, tile saw or hammer and chisel. Soft corals can be cut with a razor blade.

stainless steel wire cutters are best for acro and monti i think and soft corals i use a scissor i usually do it right in my tank but sometimes it can unleashes some chemicals so be careful what you cut in your tank... i use super glue the gel for and grab any rocks in my tank that doesn't haev stuff growing on it allready and i make sure the frag is pretty big so less bacteria zoenth is realeased upon cutting so there is a greater chance it will survive... put frags for most in low water flow for a week and a half to 3 weeks... for soft corals by the way use only a small amount of glue the corals ive noticed fasten themselves better when its just the rock instead of the glue you just need the glue to hold them to the rock,, this is also the same for the sps but you might need more glue considering it takes longer for sps to attach themselves but other will tell you differnetly

+1 Capt
You may need a good set of bonecutters for the duncans.Most SPS you can just snap a branch off.I usually do that accidently.

Back