frank's 46 gal bowfront

i got a new current satellite pc light fixture today, also got an anemone and rearranged my rocks, its finally coming together.

001-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

Hey your set up is coming along nice I like the clowns, I'm putting two in my tank as well although I only have one now I was gonna give the tank a week to adjust because it's so new...Good luck with the nem but from my understanding dustin is right pc's won't be enough for it. I think I'm going to resist the temptation to get an anemone and eventually get some frogspawn and hope the clown will host that instead. There's not an actual symbiotic relationship there but I think it adds the same effect! Hope it works out

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. i guess i should have asked the people on here before the guy at the aquarium store. i bought the lighting and the anemone at the same time, and specifically asked him if it would be sufficient. sounds like he was wrong. i wanted to get the one that had 2x96 watt bulbs, but he told me that the 1x96 watt fixture would be enough to keep most anemones and soft corals.

maybe i need to look into a small MH fixture in addition to this one if i want the thing to survive??

Anemones need more light than most corals. Like, twice as much light. PCs aren't enough for them, but you are right, they are enough for soft corals. If I were you, I'd take the lights back and get some that you can keep anything with. T5s are great, and really aren't that much more expensive. You will be able to keep anything you want under T5s. The anemone will also be a challenge in a new tank like yours. They rarely do well in tanks that aren't mature (like, less than a year old or so). Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you.

If you decide to take the anemone back and keep your lights, you have plenty of other good options for good corals that would do well in your tank.

Dustin and Biffs right.PCs wont do it for anemones.Reguardless of what a LFS clerk tells you.
I've talked people out of buying anemones at the LFS I help at.And sometimes flat out refuse to sale em at times(depending how smartass the customer gets).But 99.9% of the LFS would rather sale you something that they know you cant keep.Because they know you'll come back and buy another one to try.So they make money on you loss.

I would slow down a bit seems like you are adding quite a bit of stuff in there without doing any additional research. frankly im surprised the first 2 fish didnt die the first night you had them. Im not trying to be hard on you at all. Im just trying to save you lots of potential frustration. Tank is looking good so far. i would say you picked it up for a steal

. frankly im surprised the first 2 fish didnt die the first night you had them. Im not trying to be hard on you at all. Im just trying to save you lots of potential frustration.

I don't understand why you think they should have died the first night. when i set this tank up i took the water from my, already established, 29 gallon aquarium. it was running for about one year. just added 17 gallons to fill it up the new one. new tank ran for about 3 weeks with only a couple pinfish in it. as soon as i determined that all my parameters were on point, i used the those pinfish for bait and then added fish that i liked.

also just because you see all my new additions in one post, does not mean they were added all at once. i appreciate the advice, but a little less harsh next time. if you wonder why my fish didnt "die the first night i had them" then ask me some questions that lead you to an answer to that.

one thing i do regret is getting the anemone, i should not have taken the aquarium owner's word that the lighting i bought would be sufficient, he was probably just trying to make a sale of what he had in stock (He got me.)

i think he might have said that because with a new tank more then one fish added within 3-4 weeks could cause a spike in nitrite and/or ammonia causing the fish to die

Back