Freshwater dip

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Does anyone do a fresh water dip your with corals that you purchased from a fish store before you add them to your tank? The reason I ask is, the only fish store in my area that sells decent corals, has a flatworm problem and he doesn't seem to take care of it and I don't want them in my tank. I won't do a dip with SPS but I am unsure if I can do it with Zoas.

Discuss..

As long as you match the temp and pH of the fw with the temp and pH of your tank, there is no problem doing a fw dip.
Problems arise doing fw dips when the pH is drastically different than the pH of your tank.

As long as you match the temp and pH of the fw with the temp and pH of your tank, there is no problem doing a fw dip.
Problems arise doing fw dips when the pH is drastically different than the pH of your tank.

Thanks for the info. What are the different ways to raise the PH? I know there are PH buffers but is there anything else?

You can get some PH up and PH down stuff for fresh water.But I usually dont fool with that for a 5 second dip.
I generally just pour a 1/2 gallon of RO water over the new coral,then let it sit in a lugols solution for 20 minutes or so.

my two cents on this matter is dont support a fish store like that that doesnt take care of their animals

Well, the problem is, the fish store does care for his animals but has been lazy on taking care of the flatworm problem. The flatworms he has are practically harmless but they do reproduce quickly. I would rather not have them in my tank. Also, like I said, this is the ONLY LFS in my area, which also sucks. The owner is my friend and I ALWAYS hound him to take care of the problem.

You can get some PH up and PH down stuff for fresh water.But I usually dont fool with that for a 5 second dip.
I generally just pour a 1/2 gallon of RO water over the new coral,then let it sit in a lugols solution for 20 minutes or so.

lugols, what the heck is that?

lugol's- http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~KM3611.html

since he is a friend you could offer to get in there and help get ride of them for some freebies

Thanks for the link. And I totally hear ya on the flatworm problem. Everytime I suggest something he kind of gets offensive, so I leave it alone. The sad part is, is that he knows his stuff, but procrastinates on some problems which we all know is bad in this hobby.

Thanks for the info. What are the different ways to raise the PH? I know there are PH buffers but is there anything else?
Baking soda (Arm&Hammer) and heavy aeration. Rapid changes in pH are harmful to any fish or coral and can easily stress them to the point of death. If anyone has problems while doing a fw dip, the problem is most likely the big difference in pH. The pH of tap water can be in the 6's while our tanks should be around 8. That difference alone can stress and kill a fish/coral.

Back