Frogspaun - Cheato Question

Old_Moe

Reefing newb
I got my first coral the other day and things were going really great. I also added Cheato into the DT.

The cheato never really looked that good to start with and there is white/grey cheato... should I just throw it all out?

Frogspaun is not opening today? It has opened sinced I got it on Tues. I was thinking maybe it was flow or light related so I moved it to a lower flow higher light area in my tank and it still has not opened. It looks healthy inside, just not opened???

any suggestions? Only other thing that I can think of is that the peppermint shrimp stompped on it last night.. the shrimp beat the crap out of one of the mushrooms.

I am going to do a water test now, and I am making some RODI water to do a water change ( just did a 10g on Sunday )

Zoanthinds are looking great, btw.

thank you!!

IMG_8659.jpg

IMG_8661_1.jpg

Just clip off and toss the white/grey parts of the cheato.

Im not quite sure what is up the frogspawn, but if the shrimp is messing with it might be hard to recover because the shrimp will keep coming back. What sort of shrimp do you have in there? If its just having a bad moment, then give it some time to come back out.

Water test

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 75.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
High Range Ph: 8.1

Little Fish,

Thanks for the quick reply... I have 2 peppermint shrimp. As soon as I dropped one of the mushrooms in the tank one of the shrimps started to attack it. I have not seen it mess with anything since.

I hope it comes back, the coral looked awesome.. I will trim the cheato in the mean time.

I read that some tanks might be too clean for Zoanthids ( I have a clean tank ), is that the case with frogspauns? do I need to feed it?

I asked my LFS about food for zoanthids and he was very certain that if I keep up with my water changes I should not have to suppliment anything for Zoanthids, Mushrooms, or Frogspaun.

thanks again.

No, your tank should be fine for all of those corals, young tanks definitely arent clean tanks.

Also are you sure they are peppermint shrimp and not camel shrimp? they look very similar but camel shrimp arent reef safe

Good question. I ordered 2 peppermint and that is what I assume I got. I will try to take a picture.

The shrimp eat all the apistasia in my tank.

then they are peppermints, but all shrimp do have the potential to go after corals so you might just have a bad one. I would try and feed them so they are less likely to go after the corals.

I would try and feed them so they are less likely to go after the corals.

ok, thank you very much!!

that is how I got it away from the mushroom, I was thinking that it was a territorial issue. I will have to keep a close eye on them, to make sure that the corals are not a buffet for the shrimps.

thanks!

I have the cheato in my DT about 3/4 way up. I trimmed it as Little Fish suggested and it looks better. I will just have to watch it.

As far as lighting, the light is only about 2 months old. and I am running the default aquaticlife schedule.

Zone 1 W HITE START 9:00 - END 17:00
Z one 2 BLUE START 8:00 - END 20:00

Z one 3 NIGHT START 20:00- END 6:00

Aquatic Life

btw....I just found a hermit crab on a Zoa... hmmm

ok, so looking around my tank I am seeing 2 specks of Florescent Green dots ( my guess it is from the Frogspaun ) maybe about the size of a pen tip.

so there was a battle last night, just not sure who the villain was ( hermet crab, small emerald crab, peppermint shrimp )

my guess is after getting torn up a little, the frogspaun is stressed and may not open for a few days.... I hope it is not a life threatening wound...

thanks.

good to hear that they are tough... I am a little paranoid about these night time parties though.

I made a chastity belt for the frogspaun to ward off any hanky panky until it is of age.. It will still get all the light and flow, but hopefully keep the critters away.

IMG_8666_1.jpg

It is normal for shrimp to check out every new thing that you put into a tank. Are you sure that the shrimp attacked the mushroom, or that it was just tasting the new flavor in the resulting slime coming from it? In the for what it's worth column, all of the frogspawn I have had love moderate to heavier flow. Yours is just a little dude yet- give it time to acclimate maybe before moving it around a lot. Mine live right in the path of the return and are happy and huge, Good luck!

Back