Frogspawn

cravinmohead22

Reefing newb
well my buddy called me and told me to come and get his coral out of his tank because its not doing to well because of the poor lighting he has. this is my first coral and the tank has only been running for two months. i told him i cant promise anything but ill give it a shot. well my question is that 25% of the frogspawn looks like its dead already but the rest of it is really good. will the dead part come back or is it gone for good? should i leave the dead part in the tank or can it be trimmed off. no please dont laugh because this is my first coral. thanks as always.

We never laugh at questions! We were all newbies with our first coral at some point.

If it's slimy, then I would cut it off. It could be diseased, which may spread to the rest of the coral. If it's just a skeleton, then leave it, and it can come back.

thanks gor the response and for not laughing...... the heads that are dead looking are hard and not slimmy. 10 mins. after i put it in my tank it started to open up which i was surprisesd. i have 260 watt power compact on my 55gallon which is 4.7 wpg. do corals count for the bioload of the tank like fish do? can you add to many too soon?

Last edited:
ps...... i did alot of search in and i cant seem to get a straight answer on the difficultty of care it is. i got from a great beginner to expert. did i do the right thing by taking it from my buddy. all my test are in check but i only tested for alk, calcium, and mag one because i didnt have any corals at the time and was told they were not too important. the time i did test everything was great but calcium was just on the boarderline low. alk was 9 amd xant remember mag. ill test tomorrow. i tried to take a picture but when i atatach the pic it says invald picture.sorry

Last edited:
Corals don't count toward the bio-load.However,adding to many at the same time isn't a good idea.See how the Frogspawn does for about a month before getting more corals.Moderate light and low flow is all they need.The coral has probably gone through some hard times,it wouldn't be a bad idea to feed about twice a week with mysis/cyclopeeze.This is best done with the pumps off using a turkey baster or similar direct feeeding device.

Corals don't count toward the bio-load.However,adding to many at the same time isn't a good idea.See how the Frogspawn does for about a month before getting more corals.Moderate light and low flow is all they need.The coral has probably gone through some hard times,it wouldn't be a bad idea to feed about twice a week with mysis/cyclopeeze.This is best done with the pumps off using a turkey baster or similar direct feeeding device.

thats good to know since i have both foods you requested already and a turkey baster. now for the actual feeding part, do i just feed the general area of the coral or do i have to feed each head? i also read that clown fish if could host a frogspawn. any info on that?

Anything is possible and clowns will host in just about anything thats alive but I think it will be rare for them to host in frogspawn. If a clown dont have a nem they will usually go to the next best thing. A maroon clown will host in just about anything.

i wish i knew about that a week ago since i bought two Ocellaris. they are tank raised so im pretty sure with my luck they wont host anything. hahaha. not sure how my text got blue but oh well. sorry.

Freak is right, frogspawn are easy corals and they don't like high light or high flow. No guarantee that clowns will host in anything. I feed my frogspawn sometimes by taking a piece of mysis in some tweezers and putting the piece of mysis on its tentacles. If it's hungry, the mysis will stick to its tentacle and it will move it towards its mouth.

Yeah,there really is no guarantee clowns will host a Frogspawn.Although,I had Maroons that did.IME,I found in the past Maroons and Clarks are more likely to host corals.About your question on feeding a Frogspawn,I don't feed mine directly.When I did feed it,I only gently squirt mysis and cyclops over the top of the coral an let it drift down onto the polyps.All the heads got food but I didn't squirt food at each head.I only recommend feeding until it perks up,then you should be able to quit.

its fully opened now. i never seen it this open since me and my friend saw it in the tank at salty critter. great store by the way. have to drive 40 mins but if im looking for some special stuff thats the place to go. thanks for all the help guys and Biff. ill keep you posted.

I have had 2 Ocellaris Clowns for about 2 months now that were tank raised and 2 BTA. Do you think they would go near them to host ... not a stinkin chance! They avoid them like the plague. I hope that maybe the frogspawn i just got might entice them ... we will see.

Some clowns will never host anything. Some will insist on hosting the powerhead or heater their whole lives. They're weird. Keep in mind, if they do host corals like frogspawn, they can end up killing them from irritating them too much. Which is what my female clown did to my long tentacled plate coral.

I agree with biff. it's probaly best the clowns don't host it. everytime I get near mine with anything it starts to close up.

Back