Frozen foods??

ASteinberg

Reefing newb
What is the correct way to prepare frozen foods to be fed to fish? I bought some of the ones that are individually cubed...I got home and realized that there aren't any directions on the box.

I typically melt mine in hot water. Be sure to drain it reall good though. I will then add some tank water to get it most.

put a half a cup or so of tank water in cup, add cube and let thaw out. once thawed drain off juice and keep solids, add more tank water to cup, add couple drops of selcon, or other , and let soak for 10 minutes, add to tank. many ways to do it you will have to experiment. basically never add frozen cubes directly to the tank, drain off juices and only feed solids. the selcon is to boost or fortify the natural food. no really required but recommended.

It also depends on what brand of frozen food you are using. Formula One and Formula Two cubes have "gel binders" and will not break up in the water. Those cubes need to be hung in one of those plastic pieces of mesh in a clip suctioned to the glass. If you don't hang them up, they'll just sink to the bottom (and most of my fish won't eat stuff off the bottom).

Back