Frustated Help

galonso52

Reefing newb
Two weeks ago I noticed my corals not looking so good so I started testing and I took my water to my LFS and discovered my test kits were bad. My Alkalinity was extremly low about 2.0meq/l and my calcium was about 340. I was dosing BIonic about 3 times a week 15ml. Since I discovered the bad test I began dosing Reef Builder every few days plus continuing the BIonic. I finally got my Alkalinity to about 3.4 Calcium 430 but now I have Nitrates at about 15-20 which I have never had it higher than 0. I just did a 20% water change on Friday. My corals are still not opening up. Any ideas???

Ammonia 0
KH 3.4
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20
Ph 8.6 Max on my test kit could be higher
Calcium 430
Salinity 1.024
Magnessium 1500 Max on my test kit could be higher

Now I am re-thinking everything and getting frustrated:frustrat:. Is there anything I am forgetting or overlooking.

Get that PH retested.If those numbers are correct,the high PH is stressing the crap out of your corals.But your PH kit could be wrong,and your corals could be stressing from the sudden rise in the alkalinity.
Are you using RO water? If so,how old are the filter cartridges?

I'm purchasing it from my LFS. Should I be worried about the nitrates or should I concentrate more on the PH. Thanks for the help.

Your nitrates are fine for most corals and fish. Nitrates in the range of 15 to 20 are not hurting anything. Your pH is high enough to kill corals if it stays that high for long enough.

Right now,I'd look at the PH.
Test some new water before you put it in your tank and see where the PH and nitrates are at.Then you can go from there.
Just because your getting water from your LFS,dont assume that the water is good.

I just retested again just in case and found my Top off water RO to be 7.4 and the tank water is still 8.6. I used the same RO for my water change mixed with instant ocean on Friday. I will take the water to test again to another LFS just in case. Is RO supposed to have 7.4

Ok I just tested again yes I am not the most patient person. The alkalinity is low again to about 1.8 and my calcium is 450 500 and the PH is still 8.6. Will I have to lower my PH for the Alkalinity to go up? Can I add just the alkalinity of B Ionic and not the calium Part 2?

I'm betting that you got some bad test kits.
With the PH that,I would think the alkalinity would also be high ( I may be wrong on that one though ).
Pick up some API kits for calcium,alkalinity,and PH.I know those are cheaper kits,but there normally close enough to get you in the ball park.

I have already taken my water to two local LFS to make sure and they get the same results. I have read thru the baking soda technique and I had alot of questions but I want to read thru it again before diving in. I remember reading that I should get the parameters where I want them first though. Should I wait till I get them right before I start using that method.

Any update?

If it were me, I'd stop dosing and start doing water changes. Dosing is only making your problem worse, imo.

So, get some spiffy new saltwater mixed up. I'd do at least 10% changes every other day until things come into line. No more than about 20% every few days, though. You don't want rapid changes.

Sorry guys I have had some long nights at work this week. I just tested again and my alkalinity has been holding steady at about 3.2 to 3.4 and calcium has held at 400-450 in the last two days. The only thing that is still off is my PH at 8.6 and my nitrates are finally gone down to zero. I'm preparing to do a 20% water change in a few minutes to see if I can get my PH down.

Remember you don't want to change the pH too rapidly. It will kill everything. pH is a logarithmic scale, so even a change of 0.1 is pretty significant. take it slowly.

Back