Fuge- Sand or Mud

tlsims

Reefing newb
Hi setting up a new tank that has a sump and i am wanting trying to find a way to put a fuge in it, one question i have is it better to put sand in the fuge or mud or both?

It's all personal preference, from what I've noticed. I use miracle mud for my fuge...it's pretty expensive, though, and I got it because it was when I was first starting out and my lfs convinced me to use it. I don't mind it. At least I don't need a deep sand bed of 5" or more....my fuge wasn't that deep, so i couldn't do a dsb anyway. If you go w/ just live sand, it should be 5" or more to be effective. But you can also do what RIJohn suggested, and just do rubble and a ball of chaeto. Make sure you get a good light, like some type of CFL. At least your pods will have places to grow in.

+1 tanked....mine did eventually settle, but everytime I rotate my chaeto, the fuge gets cloudy for a while, and because it dumps right into the dt, ends up in my tank and clouding that up, too. But I don't mind it much. I figure I have it there already, I'm not going to mess with changing it out.

thanks guys i think i will go with LR rubble to start maybe sand if i have enough room for 5 inches but from what i can tell the mud has no real added benefit so i probably wont do that.

Back