Gallery / Showcase?

Ian

Reefing newb
I'm in the initial stages of planning the LivingReefs upgrade and I don't want to lose any existing features we've got where possible (chat, database, etc..). However, I think we can make some big improvements when the switch comes.

I've been looking at the gallery and it doesn't seem to get a huge amount of use anymore, as most pics are quite a few years old now. On the old forums that's where most pics were posted, but they tend to be within threads now.

How would people feel if the gallery was removed? In it's place we could have a gallery showcase section instead - so there is still a place to upload images, but they'd be organised much better. Here's a quick example of what I mean (not the same design, but a starting point for the script).

If popular opinion was that the gallery is a must, then we can keep it - but it would delay the upgrade until a viable gallery script is available for the new software.

FWIW, the upgrade should bring some big improvements - image uploading from phones, mobile styles, much better alerts, more reliable chat, the list is endless :).

I think that most people on here use a third party picture storage site. That way you can just copy the link and post it here, on facebook, your own website, etc., without having to upload it several times.

I think getting rid of the gallery would go pretty much unnoticed.

Thanks for the feedback guys - if the gallery does go in the upgrade, I'll give plenty of notice so people can grab any pics they want (and I'll always have a backup if it's needed in future).

I'm working on a test version of the upgrade at the moment, so I'll post more when there's something to report. If you've got any ideas for upgrade features then please do let me know :).

Back