Getting a Foxface this weekend

I want to get the Foxface Lo (the one with no spot) because from what I understand it will have a brighter yellow color. Anything special to look for? I know that when they're scared their color isn't good, they may be pale or greyish looking. Any way to tell if it's healthy? I know if it will eat that's good. Any preference for size, like should I pass it up if it's too small or too big? This will be in my 30 gallon long QT for 6 weeks.

foxes are great fish i think you would want a smaller sized fox
two foxes and a gold spotted rabbitfish
100_0487.jpg

Last edited:
OMG you have 2 foxfaces??? How awesome :) I have one...he's my big baby.

Make sure you have the lfs feed them in front of you (I've never had any of my lfs' refuse to feed a fish in front of me, no matter what time I stop in). See if they eat algae sheets, check to make sure it's swimming normally, it has all its spines. Basically, they should just LOOK healthy.

EDIT: Oh and when I first got mine, he was maybe 3" long. He's almost doubled since then. The bigger the better, though, as they will be more mature and better able to handle the move. But he was the only one they had, so I got him.

Here's mine in partial camo mode:

buster_a.jpg

Almost full camo mode:

sm_Scared_buster.jpg

Thanks for sharing your pics! They are so cute.

I just checked on LA and found that the "small" size is 1-1/2" to 2-3/4" - that's really tiny! I've never seen one that small. 3" would be good I think.

I will make sure it's eating.

They are varacious algae eaters.Had one many many moons ago and it absolutely loved grape calupra algae.btw,they are a beautiful fish.

I love my FoxFace... wonderful fish.

always out, great personality... ( took about 2weeks or so for it to get used to his new home )

Eats, very very well.

Good Luck!

My LFS owner claims they will eat bubble algae too. I'm skeptical - anyone see them do that? I want the fish for its looks and personality mostly, but helping with my green bubble algae would be awesome.

mine eat the supermarket box of mixed greens or spring mix
sushi wrappers flake food and all frozen food except tube worms

Well I didn't get it yet because it turned out my LFS didn't get one. Now I found out they are getting Magnificant Foxfaces on Friday, and I could get one of those. My understanding from research is that they are also hardy, peaceful, and grow to the same size. I like both but I think I like the looks of the Magnificent a little better - anyone have experience with this fish or heard anything?

Yep, I had one for about 2 years. They're just like any FF, extremely hardy (I can't believe some of the things mine made it through) and peaceful. If I ever get my next tank set up, I'm planning on a pair of Mags.

Yep, I had one for about 2 years. They're just like any FF, extremely hardy (I can't believe some of the things mine made it through) and peaceful. If I ever get my next tank set up, I'm planning on a pair of Mags.

Also I wanted to ask you - did it nip at any of your corals? If so which ones? I've heard some people that say they did, others say if you keep them well fed they don't.

I never saw mine go after any corals. At the time I had my tank though, I was feeding the tank 2-4 times a day.

I will make sure to put seaweed on the clip every morning - about how much do you think, like one 2 x 2" square per day, or more? I don't really have any algae in my tank right now, except bubble algae (and a little film algae on the glass of course). Also from what I have read, I can take some clippings of chaeto and throw it in for him?

I'm not sure about cheato, I never tried to feed it to mine. I usually fed mine about 1/2 sheet every other day and I had the FF and two tangs in my tank.

Back