Getting back into saltwater tanks after a few years

+1mil for the dry rock.

bought almost all live rock for my big tank (the cost was ugly at 15.99lb and 7.99lb)

For the 30g fowlr i added dry rock and it cycled faster and cost a hell of a lot less. the dry rock was only 2.99lb

I just wanted to add something that no one else has mentioned yet - you are going to have to add powerheads to your equipment list to get flow into your tank - they are as essential as a heater for saltwater tanks. You want the powerheads to turn over 20-40x the number of gallons in your tank per hour. I would recommend getting a couple of hydor koralia powerheads. The ones that you can get off the shelf from petco burn out pretty quickly and aren't worth the money.

Good luck!

How much flow do I need in my tank?

I have read varying things. A lot of things say that soft corals won't grow with more than 20 times the waterflow....but then other places recommend heavy flow for all reef systems.

Right now I have 250gph total. I realize this isn't enough but for now while the tank cycles it will be ok. I can buy a $40 Koralia Wavemaker to add another 450gph OR I can spend $40 and just get a straight powerhead for $40 that will add 750gph.

How much more flow do I really need for a diverse reef system.

I had $60 saved on my Amazon Rewards card from points and just used it to buy a koralia wavemaker that maxes out at 450gph and a PH stabilizer.

How much flow do I need in my tank?

I have read varying things. A lot of things say that soft corals won't grow with more than 20 times the waterflow....but then other places recommend heavy flow for all reef systems.

Right now I have 250gph total. I realize this isn't enough but for now while the tank cycles it will be ok. I can buy a $40 Koralia Wavemaker to add another 450gph OR I can spend $40 and just get a straight powerhead for $40 that will add 750gph.

How much more flow do I really need for a diverse reef system.

I have my tank turning over at 36x per hour and i have softies growing like crazy. When I increased my from from about 25x to 35x per hour, i noticed a remarkable increase in healthy with all of my corals and fish. I think you will find that most people have a similar experience. Having good water flow is so important for such a wide variety of things in your reef, I wouldnt hesitate to aim for higher flow.

Back