Glass AND Acrylic tank?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
Is it possible to make a little nano tank with an acrylic back only? the front and sides would be glass the back would be acrylic. I know there are some problems with acrylic gluing to glass well, but if it is a nano tank say 5-7 gallons and I reinforce with some rebar it should work, right? We glue bits of acrylic into tanks to subdivide it for 'fuges, it should be about the same? Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

C

I am sure that it would be possible. Especially if you got a plastic rim to help support the acrylic.

I guess the question I have is why not just go with all glass? Is there a reason you want the acrylic?

I 3rd the question...What are you up to in your top secret fish cave?

I would be weary of acrylic on the back especially since this is where most of the LR is (usually). You'll just have a tank with a back that is all scratched up from the LR.

And I think that you'd notice a difference in the clarity of the glass and the acrylic. Then you'd always have to answer the question "Why is the back of your tank that color" and it would be a hassle.:D

I really don't have a great reason for wanting an acrylic back but I have a few reasonably good ones. First, it's way easier to drill into acrylic. If I'm going to build something where water exchange with a back section/ sump/ fuge would be important, I feel that an acrylic back would be more receptive to drilling and modification than a 1/4" piece of glass. Also, acrylic comes in all kinds of colors. If I want a blue or black back to my tank so you can't see into my back section/ sump/ fuge then it is way easier to use colored acrylic than it is to layer glass so I can paint or add in a piece of colored glass which may have lead in it. Then I've got to drill holes in more pieces of glass in order to make the opacity not touch salt water then I've got alignment problems.... Next, it would be a bit lighter and I could build my back section/ sump/ fuge out of acrylic which would diminish the weight even more. I know it could be done in glass, it just seems that if I could get this to work, I would reap the benefits of both, the strength, lightness and versatility of acrylic with the durability of glass.

PRC, I'm trying to build a nano all-in-one tank designed to meet the specific needs of dwarf seahorses. Cool, no?

C

I wouldn't do it Cath, silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic with nearly the same bond as it does with glass. Since you are building your own tank just drill the glass flat against a piece of plywood then construct it. The major issue with drilling thin glass aquariums is the flexing of the glass when the bit starts to break through, and drilling it flat will eliminate that. It should be a relatively easy project...

I wouldn't do it Cath, silicone doesn't adhere to acrylic with nearly the same bond as it does with glass. Since you are building your own tank just drill the glass flat against a piece of plywood then construct it. The major issue with drilling thin glass aquariums is the flexing of the glass when the bit starts to break through, and drilling it flat will eliminate that. It should be a relatively easy project...

Ryan, do you have any ideas about how to make the back piece of glass opaque? There will be tank water touching both sides of this glass.

C

You should be able to buy different colored or frosted glass at a glass shop.

In the sump there is equal pressure on both sides of the divider so there isn't much the glue has to do.

Krylon Fusion Spray paint is inert when its cured. Also you could build the tank out of glass and then use colored acrylic as a divider. You wouldn't have a pressure holding seal due to water on both sides so that would be alright.

Krylon Fusion Spray paint is inert when its cured. Also you could build the tank out of glass and then use colored acrylic as a divider. You wouldn't have a pressure holding seal due to water on both sides so that would be alright.

That's a great idea.

Back