glass tanks and stands

buckeye

Reefing newb
I am looking for opinions on the best place to purchase glass tanks and stands. Does anyone have a "diamond in the ruff" place? A lot of you talk about the 2doc's site, but are they the best for tanks/stands with all things considered (price, shp, c.s.)? or, is it ultimately best to get it locally and not deal with shipping? I do not have a great lfs in the area and would have to travel an hour or so, but of course am willing if that is the best choice for tanks and stands!

Thanks for the feedback that I know is on its way :mrgreen:!

Last edited:
There are a lot of tanks on craigslist. Some are complete setups. I would say the LFS would be cheapest even if you have to travel a little bit to get it.

For the stand, Drs shipped my stand and canopy for 17 dollars. They use a scale based on the purchase price not the weight unless noted otherwise. My stand is for a 29 gallon tank. So shipping of 17 dollars would be worth not driving for an hour if you could wait a week or so.

To see the shipping price, just click like you are going to order it and then cancle the order if you dont like the price.

Brian

Thanks everyone! Are you saying that if it can be shipped ups or fed ex that the shipping is cheaper (ie. $17)? How would I know how they ship? (I guess I could call each place... but you guys are more convieniant :mrgreen: )! What is the cut-off... you said 90gal would be outragous, is that b/c it goes cargo freight or something?

I am willing to do used, but I guess that gets into the same shipping issue. I know about craigslist, but have never used it. I assume the above shp issue applies?

Craigslist is local. They have a different site for every major city. So there is no shipping there if you buy the tank locally.

Craiglists is an online classifies for your area.You would have to go pick it up from the seller unless they are generous enough to deliver it.

You can call Dr Foster and Smith's customer service to see what goes out UPS/FedEx and what goes out truck freight.

What size range were you looking for again?

I am looking for a 30g to 55g for now...
I did check craigslist, a couple of good prospects but would still have to drive a ways (which could be worth it if the price is right).

Go as big as you can afford.More water volume ,more stability.

A 55g would be perfect to start with in this hobby.
best of luck.

Back