gloves needed?

You can get stung and bit by stuff. It's not too bad, but it can burn. Gloves are more useful to protect the tank -- if you have soap or oils on your hands, that can harm your livestock.

Gloves are also helpful if you have any recent cuts or scrapes on your hands and arms. It's rare, but people have been known to contract infections, even flesh eating bacteria from their tanks.

I use a pair of Aqua Gloves for moving rock around, but not for things like just reaching in real quick to adjust something. Unless like I said i have a cut or something.

Ive never used gloves. I do make sure I rinse off my hands with out any soap on them first.
Never got stung of bit by anything. I have even accidentally squashed a bristle worm and nothing.

But using gloves couldnt hurt.

Gloves are the safest for you and the tank both.Even though 99.9% of us ( me included ) dont use them.

i use the nitrile gloves powder-less. i do a question though, what corals can sting you or can all of them? Sorry not stealing thread just a quick question.

Frogspawn,hammer,and torches can be big time stingers.
Zoanthids can carry palytoxins that can kill you deader than 4 o'clock.
Anemones can be pretty rough.Especially the Hell Fire Anemones and carpets.

Frogspawn,hammer,and torches can be big time stingers.
Anemones can be pretty rough.Especially the Hell Fire Anemones and carpets.

How do those palytoxins get to you? Absorbed in a cut? do you have to injest it? I have been doing stuff in the tank and handling zoos and polyps alot. Once I had a weird numbing in the arm and hand? Is that what it does?

Cuts and scratches would get you for sure.
Rubbing your eyes,picking you nose.Forgetting to wash your hands before eating after handling zoos.

QUOTE]

Geez, Yote. Thanks for holding out on the valuable information... Might we know which ones specifically? Just so I can stay the hell away from them..

I'm getting a diving suit. One of those armor ones with the bubble helmet that you used to see on Popeye. With the sweet little glass door that opens at your face.

QUOTE]

Geez, Yote. Thanks for holding out on the valuable information... Might we know which ones specifically? Just so I can stay the hell away from them..

I'm getting a diving suit. One of those armor ones with the bubble helmet that you used to see on Popeye. With the sweet little glass door that opens at your face.

All of them have it PRC.
You just have to be careful when working with em and use common sense.Wear gloves and eye protection and be sure to wash your hands good after handling them.

Oh and besides gloves and eye protection also do not eat them. Hey if it's not said someone may actually try it so wanna be on the safe side.

First it's don't play in traffic, then it's don't run with scissors, then it's you'll grow hair on your palms.... And Now this!!! Damn Damn Damn.

I'm getting body armor. I'm gonna look like Dustin Horffman in Outbreak.

First it's don't play in traffic, then it's don't run with scissors, then it's you'll grow hair on your palms.... And Now this!!! Damn Damn Damn.

I'm getting body armor. I'm gonna look like Dustin Horffman in Outbreak.

HAHA you shoulda seen the getup I had to wear back when I did nuke work. Like a big yellow chicken!

haha did you know you can have lots of fun with the liquid in a glowstick ;)

Edit: Thats a good entry for the practical jokes list.

Last edited:
Back