Gluing Corals

AuburnGrad93

Reefing newb
Alright guys, I have tried the Super Glue Gel and it does not work for me! :frustrat: What kind of putty or epoxy is out there that I can use to glue my corals? Or is there something better?

Darren

Aquamend from Home Depot. Also there are different brands of super glue gel as you know, and some work well while others are crap.

I talked to Ironman and he told me to go by Hobby Town and get their super glue in the red bottle. Well, of course you know they were sold out, but talked me into another kind that was supposed to be the equivalent, but when I used it at home, of course it sucked! lol :bounce: So I will try the epoxy form the Home Depot and maybe that will work better??

Darren

what type of corals are you trying to glue and how are you going about attaching them??? to be honest you should not be having that hard of a time. some of the softies are kinda tricky like shrooms and leathers. let us know your process and maybe we can help you out on this. I use loctite gel and it works awesome!!!!

Well, just attaching large corals to the existing rock in my tank? For instance, I picked two nice stalks of gorgonium and wanted to superglue it to some existing live rock, but the lousy glue I had was too runny to stay on without dripping and then glazed over when I dunked it underwater? Very frustrating stuff!

Darren

Are you sure it's the GEL? I've never used a gel that was runny. It will take normally 3-5 minutes for the glue to harden, so you'll have to hold it the length required. The glaze in the water is what it should do and normally seals up enough for small frags not to require much more holding, especially if they're on frag plugs or something of the sort. I'm personally not a fan of the putty, too much potential for RTN when you're covering up that much tissue in most cases.

I use the regular Loctite brand in the squeeze bottle: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=15&subid=34&plid=195

well darrin did you have any success? I just got done glueing a 15 head frogspawn to a rock with the gell glue, it did good.
some questions?
are you sellecting a rock that has a hole or a crevis that is just right for the base of the coral your gluing? it needs to fit snug in the rock.
Are you pulling the rock out of the water to apply the glue and attach the coral, I apply the glue just above the waters surface and slowly make a few dips to let the glue shell over and not get all over the coral or in the tank.
then you need to hold it or prop it up with something in your tank till it hardens, which varies for different types of glue. the stuff I use isnt fast enough to sit and hold it. it probly takes 10 minutes to get hard enough to hold the coral, then I wouldnt move it alot or put it in high current till the next day so it can cure good.

Also the only time Ive had glue run is if I use non gel glue, it just seeps into the rock and makes a mess.
let me know how its coming?

Well, I have had some success. I did figure out the glue they sold me at Hobby Town that was supposed to be the "equivelent" to the red bottled gel they usually sell ISN'T! lol But I also tried the Aquamend from Home Depot and that worked pretty well. I was also over at Les' place last week-end and he gave me a pretty good demonstration in gluing (Of course he had the red bottle too! LOL)! So I think I am ok now. Tank looks pretty good right now, can't wait for all you guys to take a look at it and tell me what you think during the April meeting!

Darren

I only used a small amount on 2 corals, and everything is doing great right now! So it had better NOT kill my corals or I might have to kill the person who recommended it! (See above posts!!! REV! lol)

Darren

Ok, believe me, I won't use it anymore either. Rev, have you had any long-term adverse effects from using it??

Likely not, and neither have thousands of other reefers (myself included) who have used it in the past. The marine 2-part putty is pretty much the exact same stuff except for the color added to the "fish store" brands.

Go search the thousands of reefers who have used it on reefcentral. Trust me it's fine. I have used it to glue sps straight to the rock. If it wont kill sps, it wont kill anything.

as long as everyone is throwing :pooh: Ill join in. why even bother with putty? ive used it and its the most anoying crap in the world. the gel glue is a much better, and faster bond. It seeps into the porse of the rock and the coral to hold better longer. Ive noticed with alot of my stuff that I puttied months and years ago that over time and constant repositioning the coral gives way from the putty and you have to start over, however Ive never had a gel glued coral come loose. another thing to consider with dave is hes got no track record, corals dont stay in his tank long enough to acclimate out of the bag :bounce: :bounce: let alone give time for the putty to dry. just kidding man, but really unless you dont like the glue, in my opinion its the best all around. And dave really isnt as bad as we give him credit for.

In everyones defense there is no positives in this hobby. what works for one mans tank wont work for the next, it takes a rocket scientist to figure it all out. I've tried things thousands of people have tried and failed at it and tried things thousands have failed at and done well with. the bottom line is there are no absolutes. (except copper :grumble: ) anyway arguing back and forth is futile. my best advice is do the best you can for your tank and learn what works best. if putty kills corals dont use it again and mark it in your mental notebook.
Asking advice is the best thing on any questions, cause odds are someone else has already made the mistakes, heaven knows I've made mine. but take every answer with a grain of salt. as I said before it may work miracles in my tank then crash your tank, and all you'll get from me is sorry.

The moral: everyones right and everyones wrong so get over it!

Well my first choice, is super glue gel, but sometimes you have to get sps onto big rocks in your tank and the gel want cut it. I agree the putty is a pain unless you can do it all out of the tank, but sometimes its the only way.

Tatter Digger:

Ignore them they are all "throwing :pooh: " as iron said.

Take some advice from the pros.

Look at the propogation tutorials at www.garf.org and then call them and ask about the glue on this page http://www.garf.org/GLUE03/GLUESPECIAL.html I have been using it and has always seemed to work best.

gel for underwater, the thinner glue for out of water frags.

Honestly it all works I just wanted to try and make it more confusing for you.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Brandon

While we are on this subject.... I find drilling a hole in the rock and tying frags down with zip ties helpful in some cases.

I got the red bottle from hobby town and use it for all my gluing. I use epoxy whenever I need a good solid base on something like a branching hard coral.

The only problem is some bigger rocks can't be pulled out or to the surface for drilling. Drilling helps give a good spot for epoxy or zip ties. I found some really long and cheap drill bits at harbor freight but I am afraid of putting a steel rod in the tank for even a few minuites. Any body got any thoughts on the danger of this?

ideal situations you don't want steel etc in your tank, especially if it is all rusty etc.

But if you aren't using RO, your water is coming to your house through metal pipes, even copper ones in some cases.

As long as it isn't rusty and you don't leave it in there for hours on end i think it would be ok. No scientific research though, just my opinion.

Brandon

It wont hurt anything! :mrgreen:
After youve done it a few times let me know how your tank looks. I might want to try it!
seriously though, I do drill holes sometimes and it does work good, but I havent been brave enough to try it in the tank, I rinse off what ive drilled before I put it in the tank as it is. all it would take is a small piece of metal from the bit or something that was previously on the bit to fall in the tank unseen and your in for the ride off your life! :shock:
But I dont see any reason why you shouldnt try it and let us all know how it goes timmy

Back