Goby shrimp pair

coolhandgoose

Reef enthusiast
My goby decided to commit suicide, and about a month later my lawnmower blenny followed suit.:grumble:

So now, (after making a mesh lid!!!!) I want to get another orange spotted sandsifting goby (often called diamond watchman goby).

My question is, can I add this guy, and introduce a tiger pistol shrimp later and hopefully have them pair up?
Has anyone had any experience doing this?

The diamond watchman goby isn't a shrimp goby so more then likely it won't pair up. The actual orange spotted goby however is a shrimp goby but, even then it's only 50/50 that they'll actually pair up.

This is from the website of the store where I buy my fish. This is the type of fish I had before and wanted to get again. They also call it a diamond watchman goby.
Orange Spotted Sand Sifting Goby

$27.00

Common Name: Diamond Watchman Goby
Other Names: Diamond Goby, Orangespotted Sleeper Goby
Scientific Name: Valencienneapuellaris

So definitely not sure if this will pair up or not, anyone ever done it?

They have goby and shrimp pairs in Diver's Den quite often just sign up for the email alert which will tell you whats on today's Diver's Den. It's important that when you buy from Diver's Den that you place the order immediately. Also it will probably be kinda expensive since Diver's Den tends to be pricey.

I think your best bet it to get one already paired from the lfs. Talk to the lfs you like best and see if they will try pairing them up for you.

I have had 2 pairs of shrimp and goby.

1. A orange spot goby and tiger pistol shrimp. Bought the goby first, then the next day the shrimp. It only took a day for them to pair up. Both were eaten by the snowflake eel I introduced later on :( rip

2. My current pair, yellow watchman and tiger pistol. Bought them together, they paired up IMMEDIATELY. It seems like the yellow watchman hangs out alot closer to the shrimp than my orange spot did. To the point that he gets in the shrimps way when hes digging lol. Plus, I think the yellow watchman is more interesting looking, hes a very bright yellow with green spots.

So honestely I dont think it matters when you introduce them into the tank or in what order etc. I think the gobys instinct to bond with the pistol shrimp is so strong that as long as you have a goby in the same tank with a shimp they will find each other and pair up. As long as its the type of goby that does that, I think clown gobys dont for example.

Heres mine:
YouTube - Yellow Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp

Back