Goby

Butch 36

Reefing newb
I really would love to get some kind of a burrowing goby next,then mabey a pistol shrimp..I would love to see them live together the way they do.The thing is, I have crushed coral,not finely crushed...Would they still be able to burrow or make a hole under a rock or something?

your substrait is fine for what you are wanting to do but my recommendation is to avoid the pistol shrimp. select a different reef safe shrimp for your project.

I thought that some burrowing gobies and pistol shrimp live in the same hole.If not,,what kind of shrimp burrows with the goby?..I seen pics of them doing that,,I just quessed it was a pistol shrimp..I allready have a cleaner shrimp...

Last edited:
Pistol shrimp diet - small invertevrates, or substitute meaty foods in captivity. Not all alpheids live or need to live in symbiotic relationships. Those that are active in such relationships are highly selective in regards to acceptable hosts. In some cases, the shrimp must be collected with its partner or host or it will not re-pair with another in captivity. The best way to ensure you obtain a compatible pair is to purchase them together.. so good luck to you, pistol shrimp and gobies are fun but there is no gaurantee the relation ship will develope by just buying one of these and one of those. so best of luck. Sorry for the previous post as it lends to subjective misinformation.

Thanks alot John,,,I glad you told me that,,I wouldn't want to spend that kinda money and not accomplish what I wanted,,so I'll wait till I can find a pair thats allready buddies..I know I told you this allready,,,But ,you are a true asset to this site..(as'set, n.,valualble thing)

Back