going over a few things

hehe, it can all be a little mind boggling when first starting out. i know i was. just ask away with any questions. i'm sure someone in here will have a good answer.

lol.Dont worry,we've been there.
Any thing your not sure about,just ask.Every body here is more than willing to help.

I know it can be daunting.Keep researching and it will start to make sense.When you come up with specific questions than some one here can help.

BTW,a sump is just a container that houses filtration and other equipment like heaters and protein skimmers.A chiller is like a air conditioner for your tank.I don't think a chiller is something you need to worry about though.

We all started out at sometime. Ask away with the questions after all thats why were all here. Theres not a day that goes by I dont learn something new on this forum.

its good to know im not the only one who has been confused lol. i believe ive finally got the cycling process down, and im started to understand water chemistry. getting there little by little. ok, so just what are sumps used for anyways? im wanting to set up a 55 gallon tank (or larger if my money, excuse me i mean "honey" allows me to, just kidding my wife is looking forward to it also). im wanting to get the best i can afford so im starting out slow.
umphlettm:bounce:

A 55 gallon is a good size tank to start out with in this hobby.I do like a 75g. a little better because it gives you more width.

A sump is another tank/container that houses filtrations and more.Usually its under the stand.For instance on my system,I running approximately 55gal. sump on my 210g.The heaters,skimmer,prefilter(sponge),carbon bags,refugium and more is incorporated.Most people use them to add more water volume and hide equipment/filtration.You can run a successful system with or without one.

Best of luck.

I have not set up a sump yet .

I have a 20 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank to set one up but not shure if and when i will. Still debating.

Even though a 55 is a good starting point.Think about going with a 75.A whole more room.
How you thinking about the set up? Reef,FOWLR,FO?

i have just recently set up a sump and i love it. if the money allows you to set one up then i would highly recomend it. it has made a huge difference in the clarity of the tank with the water being skimmed off the top and the extra turnover from the return pump.

Back