Going to get a protein skimmer and refugium

charlesp123

charlesp123
Any suggestion on a protein skimmer and refugium? currently I have a 30 gallon tank with a proclear aquatics wet/dry filter with a Rio+2100 sump set up.

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2286-20130510-203200.jpg

Needing to get a Protein skimmer and refugium

Currently I have a 30 gallon breeder tank with a ProClear Aquatic wet/dry filter and now I am wanting to add a protein skimmer and refugium.. any suggestions? also not looking to spend a fortune.

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2283-20130510-202943.jpg

charlesp123-albums-now-5-10-13-picture2286-20130510-203200.jpg

Have you tried going through tank builds similar to yours to see what other people are running? Can't really tell how much room you have in your sump for one.

you can probably run a HOB skimmer like a AquaMaxx HOB-1 or even a coralife that draws water from the sump. I don't think you have room for a refugium in that sump setup. You may want to look at a HOB refugium that hangs off your display.

Thanks Noy, I will probably end up going with constructing some kind of HOB contraption.... Finally I will get to do my first DIY project on my tank! and will show pictures along the way

And Chichimom I will try to find a protein skimmer that can fit in the sump, as i just found out the Rio+ has a vent for the protein skimmer

You can do like I did and get another sump and put them toghether with PVC in the middle, then you can run your skimmer in the current sump and refugium on the add on.

FYI,

Like you I was trying to reuse a wet/dry filter for my new tank. I read all about bio balls not good etc. So this is how I attempted to solve my problem. I removed the tray and bio balls and ran the wet/dry in reverse order so I could place the skimmer in the water intake area. Although this worked, I still ended up getting a 20g tank during the Petco dollar a gallon sale and made my own sump with a larger skimmer. Because of limited funds I ended up getting the SCA-302 for about 130.00 including shipping and has been working great. Alot more skim and bubble compared to the seaclone.

Attachments

• oldsump.jpg
    oldsump.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 669
Watching some youtube videos on how to build a protein skimmer seems extremely simple, think im going to tank that route as well. I dont understand why they are so expensive

Watching some youtube videos on how to build a protein skimmer seems extremely simple, think im going to tank that route as well. I dont understand why they are so expensive

The higher end skimmer companies actually do quite a bit of R&D into their products and some of the innovations in just the last year show that. Plus there's actually a lot of calculations they put into the volume/size/height/and shape of the cones they use for the skimmer bodies. All that stuff isn't cheap especially for a niche/hobby market.

I just got (about a month ago) a Bubble Magus 5.5 for my 75g tank and it rocks. Its the model that sits on top of the pump so my sump has to have 9"-10" inches of water. I found a coupon at Petmountain and was happy to pay that then buy at a local shop (thieves here in den LOL)

Back